74. MORE THAN THAT

74. MORE THAN THAT

ALIYAH WOKE UP feeling like absolute crap

ALIYAH WOKE UP feeling like absolute crap. Her face had broken out, seemingly overnight, her back was killing her, her stomach was grumbling and her feet were sore.

It's funny how quickly her mood can change after eight hours of sleep.

She opens her eyes to stare up at the smooth ceilings and breathes softly. Six months in and she feels like she's been pregnant forever.

Turning her head, slightly, she catches sight of an empty, made-up bed. Elijah must've gotten up early to go to work or something. Aliyah, honestly, can't remember if he kissed her goodbye or anything - she was knocked out.

It's only when she hears a clatter and smells the fresh scent of mango that she realizes he never left.

"Baby," She calls out, loud enough for her voice to bounce off the walls but not loud enough for it to travel down the stairs. When she doesn't receive a response, she groans and pulls her blanket back up to her chin, "Oh well, I tried."

She might as well try to sleep off the discomfort - not like she has work or anything. Just as she closes her eyes and exhales, she can hear Elijah's feet hit against the steps, walking up the steps of the house, and behind him an unfamiliar sound going pitter patter.

Do we have a child I don't know about? Aliyah asks herself, her eyes shooting open. The footsteps are too light for it to be Kyree or Toni.

She, begrudgingly, sits up just in time for the bedroom door to be pushed open, revealing the love of her life holding a tray of breakfast foods and a dog trailing behind him.

A dog.

Wait.

"Elijah -" Aliyah covers her mouth with her hand, a gleeful smile growing on her face, "Did you get us a dog?"

The Golden retriever pants, his tongue sticking out of his head and doe eyes staring up at her. Immediately, at the sight of the animal, Aliyah is overwhelmed with joy.