19. SOFTBALL TEAM

19. SOFTBALL TEAM

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT Aliyah Pryce loves kids

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT Aliyah Pryce loves kids. Damn, if she wasn't ten years celibate ━ now only one month thanks to the man in front of her ━ and didn't have a high standard for certain men of certain calibers, she would've had a whole ass softball team.

Raising Kyree at such a young age gave her enough experience for a lifetime. By the time she was in middle school, she knew how to make a bottle and change a diaper at the exact same time.

Some would find it more concerning that she was doing all this by herself, but she was proud. By the summer she was thirteen and a half, she was with Kyree every minute of every day, trying to help him walk.

Her mother hadn't seen his first steps. She was working at the post office that day.

Aliyah Pryce is an expert when it comes to kids. She practically raised one.

So, she wasn't completely sure why when she saw the beautiful baby girl in Elijah's arms, the only words she could muster up were, "I'm gonna go put the wine up."

She's convinces herself that she's really baby-proofing the place, removing harmful objects from within her reach. But, deep down she knows that seeing Elijah with that baby just strengthens Aliyah's desire for one.

"No," She whispers to herself, "We can't do baby fever right now."

She hunches over the kitchen sink, her chest heaving as her body heats up. She swallows thickly before trying to control her breathing.

"No babies, no babies, no babi ━"

"Lee, you good?" Elijah's voice cuts through her thoughts, bringing her back to earth.

Running a hand through her neat braids, Aliyah responds, "Yeah, I'm good. Just," She looks around for an excuse before she spots the water dispenser on the fridge, "Getting some water."

She stands in her spot for a while longer before actually following through on what she said. The woman gulps down the water like it's the last thing she'll do before placing the glass in the sink.

She sends up a prayer and summons as much courage as she can ━ she's gonna need it if she's gonna watch Elijah with a baby.

With one final breath, she relaxes her hands against her thighs, slapping them, and exits the kitchen to see Elijah seated on the floor, holding up the baby in front of him. He's pressing kisses to her face, receiving the cutest giggles from her.