Chapter 16

"What?! You signed up for a match today?!" I exclaimed, staring at Gon in shock.

"I tried to tell him it would be dangerous, but he wouldn't listen." Killua responded, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, but I just really wanted to fight!" Gon tried to defend himself.

"That's just plain stupid." I bluntly replied and crossed my arms. Gon started pouting in the corner at my words. Killua and I only stared at him as he sulked. I sighed.

"I guess it can't be helped. Just be careful, Gon." I walked up to the boy, patting him on the back.

○●○

I plopped down next to Killua on the bench, waiting for Gon's match to start.

"He's so reckless." I sighed as Gon walked out and everybody cheered.

"Now that's something we can agree on." Killua nodded, watching Gon's opponent arrive.

He stood in front of the guy I now know as Gido. Man... this worried feeling in the pit of my stomach isn't helping.

I leaned back in my seat and sighed, looking down at Gon as he got ready to fight his opponent.

The referee started the match, and Gido wasted no time in attacking. He threw out some tops that were obviously laced in his nen. They circled around Gon, and he looked skeptically at them.

"There they are, Gido's Dancing Tops! He uses numerous tops to attack his opponent!" The commentator yelled. I tensed. This isn't good. A top snuck up behind Gon, and struck him in the back, causing him to go flying.

"Gon gives up a clean hit and one point, right off the bat! He's off to a rough start!" The lady annouced. Gon quickly got up, and tried to avoid the tops.

"I can use Nen to keep these tops spinning for hours as my attack. The attack pattern is so complex, even I don't know what will come next!" Gido explained, laughing at Gon's misfortune.

"He's been hit from behind by another top! Gon is in big trouble, after having been surrounded by Dancing Tops!" The commentator shouted as Gon was being thrown around by the tops.

Gido continued to rack up points as Gon struggled to keep up. I crossed my arms, leaning back and looking down into the ring. I studied the tops as they closed in on Gon.

"Oh, I get what he's doing." I stated, my eyes trained on Gido.

"Huh?" Killua turned to me with interest.

"He's using a form of Hatsu. He's projecting his aura into the tops and enhancing them. That allows the them to move with more strength and speed than normal." I explained, not looking away from the fight.

"So it's all part of his nen? That makes sense." Killua closed his eyes, thinking about my words.

Gon seemed to figure out Gido wasn't directly controlling his tops to attack him. He charged at him with confidence. That confidence soon drained as Gido started spinning like a top as well.

"What the hell..." I mumbled, weirded out by his defense.

"You may have figured out my tops, but you still can't land an attack!" He laughed confidently as he spun at high speeds.

"There it is! Gido's special technique,
combining offense and defense Tornado Top!" The commentator explained before Gon was sent flying once again.

"He lands a strong counter on Gon Three points! The judge has awarded a critical hit and knockdown! Gido has nine points! Gon is on the verge of losing!" She announced.