Chapter 31

Leorio had come up with an odd method of earning money. We gathered around a table out on the streets, and Gon sat down. Killua stood off to the side with a ring in a box. I just stood there awkwardly, not really having a job other than to watch.

"Come on down! Let's have some
conditional auctioning fun!" Leorio yelled, catching the attention of many people.

"What's up for bid?" Somebody shouted from the busy street.

"A diamond worth three million. Comes with the appraisal of the store where I just bought it. Arm wrestling will decide the winning bid. The first person to beat this boy wins the diamond. You must pay a 10,000 Jenny entry fee." Leorio explained as a crowd of buff men quickly started forming around us.

"Now, let's start the auction!" Leorio announced, and many people started practically throwing their money at us.

Many muscular men were eager to arm wrestle Gon and they quickly formed a line under Leorio's instruction.

I leaned over to Killua. "Do you think Gon remembers Leorio's tactic?" I whispered, and he turned to look at me.

"He better remember. Leorio told him, like, only an hour ago." Killua replied in a whisper.

"I wonder if his pride will allow him to pretend to struggle." I snickered. I felt Killua push me slightly.

"Not so loud! Somebody might hear you!" He whisper yelled and I sheepishly grinned.

"Okay, you're first! You need to pay the entry fee up front." Leorio spoke to a huge man as he sat in front of Gon.

He paid the fee, then clasped hands with Gon.

"You get a single round! Ready... Go!" Leorio started the arm wrestling, and both males tensed, trying to push the other's hand down.

Leorio started commentating, and I watched Gon in interest. He really was acting like he was struggling. I tried to stiffle my laughter as I turned around.

"What are you laughing at?" Killua huffed at my childish behavior.

"Gon's really selling it out there!" I said between laughs. I tried to keep my voice down, not wanting somebody to overhear us.

"Can you be serious for once!?" Killua yelled at me. I straightened back up into a saluting pose.

"Sir, yes sir!" I spoke in a deeper tone, mocking a serious man. Killua scoffed.

"You were just laughing a second ago!" He poked me in the forehead, and I stayed in place, not moving an inch.

"I don't know what you're talking about, sir. All I know is pain and despair." I continued to mock a strong and serious man's voice. My posture was stiff, as I saluted.

"You're so stupid..." Killua mumbled, sighing at my behavior. I dropped the act, snickering at his reaction.

I looked back to the table to see Gon slam the man's hand onto the table. The muscular man sighed in defeat as he stood up.

"Damn, I lost to a little kid..." He grumbled before walking off.  More men continued to challenge Gon for the next few hours. He's beaten about 150 people so far, and is still pretending to be tired.

I started to get bored as more people challenged Gon. It was the same thing over and over again. Not a single one of them stood a chance. It wasn't until a female stepped up, that I regained my interest.

"Well, we have our first female challenger!" Leorio announced as she walked up to the table. The men cheered her on as she clasped hands with Gon.

"Let's have a fair contest." She stated as she stared blankly at the boy.