Chapter 47

I stared at the white haired lady in interest. She had blank look on her face as she peered down at me.

"I will now explain how the game works. Would you care to listen?" She asked, and I nodded.

"Yup." I leaned back on my heels and held my hands behind my back.

"In this game, two magic spells are available to anyone wearing a ring: Book and Gain. Place the hand with the ring in front of you, and say, "Book." She instructed.

"Okay..." I wearily held my hand out in front of me. "Book." All of a sudden a random book appeared out of thin air.

"Ahh! What the hell!" I screamed and the woman chuckled lightly.

"A little warning would be nice..." I grumbled as I inspected the book.

"In this game, your task is to collect certain cards. That book is for storing the cards you've collected. Please look at the first page." She instructed and I opened the book.

"They're labeled..." I mumbled as I looked at the slot numbers.

"You can only place cards of the same number in these slots. These are your "restricted slots." Please flip ahead a few pages." She stated. I did as I was told, and flipped the pages.

"Oh? Now there's no numbers." I looked at the book curiously.

"Yes, you may place any card inside these slots. These are your "free slots." There are 100 restricted slots, numbered 0 to 99. Then, you have another 45 free slots. To clear this game, you must fill the 100 restricted slots." She explained and I nodded slowly.

"Um, so I only need to collect the 100 cards to win?" I tilted my head. This card stuff is confusing.

"Yes. Specifically, you must transform one hundred items into cards and put them in your book." She replied.

"Transform?" I repeated her, bringing a finger to my chin.

"For example, if you obtain a sword, it will become a card the moment you get it. If you wish to use a card as the item, you must use the spell "Gain." However, once you've used Gain to return a card to item form, you can never transform it into a card again. If you want to make it a card again, you must reacquire the item." She explained, and I just stood there.

"Do you understand everything so far?" She asked, and I slowly nodded.

"Um- yeah, sure." I muttered. Truth is, I'm completely lost. What the hell is going on with these spell cards?!

"There are two other cases in which you cannot transform an item into a card. The first is when you reach the item's maximum card transformation limit." She stated.

"Sounds lovely." I made a sarcastic remark, but she just ignored me again.

"Every item in this game has
a card transformation limit. For example, if an item has a transformation limit of three, and three players have already transformed the item into a card, the fourth to find it will be unable to change it into a card." She explained.

"In the second case. If you don't place the card into your book within one minute, it will automatically revert to an item. In this case, as well, you can never transform that item into a card again. Do you understand?" She asked as she stared blankly at me.

"Mhm..." I nodded slowly, and she peered down at me.

"Finally, the most important note..." She spoke up again.

"Great..." I sighed. This woman was about to overload my brain with information.

"If a player dies, their book and ring are destroyed and the book's contents are lost." She stated, and I raised a brow. That means I can't kill someone and steal their cards. Dammit.