Chapter 46

I sat in a large room where the screening took place. Zepile had gone home, but left us the 100 million Jenny he promised. Kurapika had also left Yorknew, without a goodbye like the jerk he is.

"I apologize for keeping everyone waiting." The old man who bought the game walked out onto the stage.

"We will now begin selecting the players. As everyone already knows, you must be able to use Nen for this game. The test will proceed as follows. First, we need each applicant to demonstrate their Nen. We will then make our decision. The judge will be the pro Hunter, Mr. Tsezgerra!" The old man announced, and the younger man from the auction stood on the stage.

Quiet mumbles filled the room as various people muttered things about Tsezgerra.

I yawned, but covered my mouth, trying to hide my tired state. I hadn't gotten much sleep for the past few days due to recurring nightmares. My nightmares have been worse and more frequent since Jiroku's reappearance.

"Let us begin the test. One at a time, come up and show me your Ren. A shutter and curtain will block any view of the stage, so other applicants cannot
see what's happening. The moment we've chosen thirty-two players, the test will end. Please step this way to take the test." Tsezgerra explained.

A curtain lowered, blocking our view of the stage, and many people immediately stood up and got in line.

I sighed, and leaned back in my seat, deciding not to get up. Both Killua and Gon remained seated, and Killua seemed to be deep in thought.

People started disappearing behind the curtain, but nobody came out. I watched the line curiously. Does it really matter if we're in line or not? I mean, Tsezgerra did say he was going to test everybody, didn't he?

"Those guys are hopeless. They don't stand a chance." A voice sounded from behind us, and I turned to see a man in purple leaning over the chairs in front of him.

"I'm talking about the ones still in line and those waiting nearby. Especially the ones standing next to the line. They're probably waiting for someone to return, so they can ask what's inside. If you did some research and used your head, you'd see there's no rush." He stated with a smirk.

"I get it! This time, they aren't choosing thirty-two players!" Killua suddenly spoke up.

"Exactly. It's been over ten years, and no one's cleared the game. And new players can't begin if old ones are still alive." The man explained, looking at the three of us.

"Meaning that they have to save a few spots in case any extraordinary players appear. I'd guess they'll choose around twenty this round. Personally, I'd say that those in line or standing nearby have no shot. Anyone worthwhile either got in line at once, or figured out the trick and stayed in their seats to focus, like we did. Wouldn't you agree, kid?" The man smirked, and Gon looked at his hand.

"Gon? You realized what was going on?" Killua asked, slightly suprised.

"Well, it was just a hunch. I thought it was only natural that the hosts would want to test everyone here." Gon stated, his hand now surround by a shroud of aura. The man behind us started laughing loudly, and I sighed, leaning back in my chair.

"That's true. You win, kid. Yeah, I'm impressed. Not many people can stick to their ideals. The steeper and more dangerous the path, the greater the need for both wit and ignorance to move forward." The man laughed, smiling at Gon.

"What about you, Korudo? Did you know this whole time, too?" Killua asked as he turned to me. I lazily looked up at him, one of my arms over the back of the chair as I lounged out in the seat.