Gift - Jorbyn

Type: fluff, high school au
Warnings: none

🌈 keep a smile on your face through the tough times, good things come to those with a good attitude

Third person

Corbyn sat in class, waiting for everyone to arrive. He always arrives to school early, he likes getting organized before the teacher starts.

After a few minutes, everybody was in the classroom except Corbyn's boyfriend, Jonah. He got worried, Jonah's usually early as well. Just as he was thinking of all the possible places Jonah could be, he walked in with a large gift bag. Corbyn scrunched his eyebrows. It wasn't anybody's birthday, and it wasn't a special occasion, so why did he have a gift?

Jonah walked up to the teacher and whispered a few things and Mr. Clue gave a nod before Jonah walked up to the front of the class. Corbyn sent him a look of confusion, but Jonah just smiled back at him.

"Hey everyone. Most of you know what I'm doing right now, but one person doesn't know. So, Corbyn, we all know that you are very hard working. You come to school everyday and have basically straight A's, you work two jobs, and you watch your two younger siblings when your parents can't. I know that money can sometimes be a struggle for your family so me and the class wanted to help out. Since you won't accept a gift from just me whenever I try, I thought if the gift was from everyone here you might accept it," Jonah explained. Corbyn smiled a little bit as Jonah walked over to his desk. Every eye was on him, watching in anticipation.

Jonah was right, Corbyn came from a pretty poor family. They've been evicted from 4 apartments because they couldn't pay rent. And now they live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom cheap apartment downtown Stillwater, Minnesota. His parents both have minimum wage jobs, as neither of them could afford to go to college. His mom works as a server at a restaurant during the day and evenings, and his dad works as a bartender every night. Both parents work long hours, so it's Corbyn's job to take care of his siblings when he's not working or at school.

Corbyn stood up, as the bag was too tall for him to open while sitting. He pulled out the tissue paper and immediately saw a champion hoodie, it's the one he's been wanting for forever. He slowly pulled it out of the bag and smiled. His eyes started tearing up as he held it in front of him. He heard a few cheers from other students, which made him smile wider. He looked in the bag again and saw a blue dress for Ashley and a pair of new shoes for Jordan, his current shoes were getting old. Corbyn saw that there were no more big items in the bag. He pulled out the dress and shoes and said thank you to the class.

"There's something else!" Calri, a girl in the class, exclaimed. Corbyn looked at the bottom of the bag and pulled out an envelope. He opened it slowly and pulled out what was inside, which was a check for $1,000. Corbyn put a hand over his mouth as a few tears fell down his cheeks. He looked at Jonah and shook his head.

"I can't accept this," Corbyn said, trying to hand it back to Jonah.

"It's for you and your family bub, take it," Jonah replied with a smile.

"This is too much."

"So you're going to put all our hard work and saving up down the drain?" Jonah asked playfully. Corbyn smiled a little and realized how much work they put into the gift. He looked back to the class and smiled as he wiped his running tears.

"Thank you everyone, this means a lot," Corbyn said softly.

"You're welcome!" A bunch of students replied.

"I have one more thing," Jonah said softly. Corbyn looked at Jonah with scrunched eyebrows.

"Another thing? I already have more than I need," Corbyn said. Jonah walked closer to Corbyn and took his hands into his own.

"So, I know you guys struggle with paying rent, and I don't want you using that 1,000 dollars on your rent, I want you to use it to get clothes, go out to dinner, or get something you've always wanted. So, I'm going to pay for your next 6 months of rent, you don't have to worry about it," Jonah said. Corbyn felt more tears run down his eyes.

"Jobear, I know you're trying to help, and I love you for that, but that's too much. You have things you need to pay for and things that you want to buy, save it for yourself."

"You have to accept it, I've already talked to your parents and they told me how much it is. I don't want you to worry about your rent okay? Just focus on your family, work and school."

Corbyn broke down into tears and hugged Jonah tightly.

"Thank you so much."

Jonah placed a kiss on the top of Corbyn's head and swayed them back and forth in the hug. They slowly pulled away and Jonah placed a kiss on his forehead. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'm always here to help you," Jonah replied. Corbyn nodded and pecked his lips. He turned to the class again and smiled.

"Thank you again everyone. This is will help more than you know."

Everyone began clapping and cheering. Corbyn put everything back in the bag then placed the bag on the ground. He sat back down in his seat then Jonah sat beside him.

It was a perfect start to the day.