Braces - Zonah

Requested by: @victoriavanorden2

Type: fluff
Warnings: none

🧸✨ In the dark look for stars, in the rain look for a rainbow

Third person

Zach sat in a chair in the waiting room. His leg bounced up and down at a rapid pace. Jonah was beside him holding his hand, trying to get the boy to calm down.

"You'll be okay bubba, it's just braces," Jonah whispered in Zach's ear.

"It's gonna hurt Jo," Zach whined.

"I know bub, but we have lots of Advil and popsicles for you at home," Jonah replied as he ran a hand through Zach's hair. "Stop stressing out so much my love, I had braces when I was younger and I was completely fine."

Zach nodded and leaned his head on Jonah's shoulder.

"Zach Herron," an orthodontist called into the waiting room. Jonah stood up, expecting Zach to do the same. When he didn't see Zach standing beside him, Jonah turned and saw Zach sitting in shock.

"Come on baby, I'll be with you the whole time," Jonah softened his voice as he crouched in front of the terrified boy.

"I don't wanna," Zach mumbled.

"I know bub, but you have to, it'll make your teeth move so it's more comfortable for you."

Zach slowly nodded and looked up at Jonah. "Come on love."

Zach slowly put his hand into Jonah's then stood up. He followed Jonah while staring at his feet, he eventually made it to a chair that was laying down, so he sat on it as instructed.

"Ok Zach, so what I'm going to do is clean your teeth with a few different tools and products, then I will glue your brackets onto your teeth, finally I will put in the wire and elastics. It should only take 15 to 20 minutes," the orthodontist explained. Zach nodded at her then looked at Jonah nervously. Jonah squeezed his hand and smiled. "Alright, can you open your mouth for me please?"

Zach opened his mouth widely and allowed the orthodontist, who he learned to call Olivia from her name tag, to put something in his mouth to stretch his lips out. Jonah smiled and rubbed Zach's knuckles with his thumb.

"Squeeze my hand when you're nervous," Jonah said to Zach. The younger boy nodded before Olivia got to work.

••

After about 15 minutes, the brackets were on Zach's teeth, the lip stretcher was out of his mouth, he just needed the wire and a colour. He was given a pallet with the colour choices on it, he inspected all of them before choosing the clear elastics. Olivia nodded then began to put the wire in his mouth.

•5 minutes later•

Zach was finally finished. The braces were completely on. He smiled at Jonah, but kept his mouth closed. He wasn't quite used to the feeling of the braces invading his mouth space. Zach sat up in the chair and Olivia smiled at him.

"How do they feel?" Olivia asked.

"They feel alright," Zach answered.

"Awesome. So, for tonight's dinner I suggest something that isn't hard to chew, maybe something like soup. And to get rid of the pain I suggest having Advil and eat cold food. They will hurt more during meal time so having a glass of ice water with your meals will make it hurt less," Olivia explained. Zach nodded with a smile.

The couple left the back room and went up to the reception desk.

"Okay, you're Zach right?" The receptionist, Mary, asked.

"Yeah," Zach answered.

"Ok, does November 4th at 3:00pm work for your next appointment?" Mary asked. Zach pulled out his phone and checked his calendar.

"Yup!"

"Awesome! See you then! And feel free to grab a cookie," Mary said, gesturing to the basket full of packaged cookies. Zach smiled and grabbed one before leaving the office with Jonah.

"See bubba, it wasn't so bad. And you look gorgeous," Jonah said to Zach when they were in the car. Zach smiled widely and pecked Jonah's lips.

Maybe braces wouldn't be so bad after all.

A/N hey angels! Sorry I haven't updated recently, I've been focusing on my new book Amnesia (go read it if you haven't already!). Anyway, I added the cookie part because my orthodontist offers cookies and coffee to their patients and guardians :) I hope you enjoyed!