1. The Vanishing Glass

She was always raised to be someone else

She was always raised to be someone else. She was always raised to be a jerk like her twin, but what they never counted on was her heart. Behind her sarcasm and wit, she had a heart of gold. While they laughed at their nephew and starved him, she helped him and was kind to him. When he was locked for days in his cupboard, she snuck in food. When Dudley bullied him she stood up for him when she wasn't being bullied herself. She was his only friend and he was hers. They were the best of friends.

General disclaimer because there has been a lot of confusion in the comments, this is not a fanfiction about Harry Potter the person. This is a fanfiction about the universe of Harry Potter.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Nicole ran down the stairs on the morning of her birthday in low spirits, knowing what this meant for her cousin. She got down just in time to stop her mother from rudely awakening Harry. "I'll wake him, Mum," she spoke up, cutting her off. Once she had gone, Nic carefully opened the door and called softly, "Harry, it's time to get up. Mum's in a right fit. You need to get up before she shows back up."

"Hey Nic," he replied, sitting up groggily and rubbing his eyes.

"Sup Lightning," she replied, giving him a small smile as her eyes shifted up to his scar. Once he was up, the two entered the kitchen together to see the table hidden beneath a pile of presents. Rolling her eyes, Nic began to help her mother and Harry with breakfast.

"Comb your hair!" Vernon snapped, glaring at Harry's messy locks. He simply moved past Nic, never having been good at interacting with his daughter. Soon after, Dudley himself came waddling down the stairs. He was tremendously overweight and, contrary to his thin, dark-haired sister, was blond and rather pink in the face. The only thing they did share was a pair of startlingly blue eyes.

Those very same eyes began to scan over the presents, counting them up. For, while their birthdays were both today, Nic had a separate pile to the side which consisted of about two presents. Her parents had always favoured her brother and while they weren't necessarily unkind to her, they did poke fun and push her around.

"Thirty-six," Dudley snapped, finally done counting his presents. "That's two less than last year." Nicole rolled her eyes, long ago fed up with his spoiled behaviour.

"Darling," Petunia broke in, trying to avoid the raging storm that is an angry, admittedly rather pathetic, Dudley, "you haven't counted Auntie Marge's present, see, it's under this big one from Mummy and Daddy."

"All right, thirty-seven then," Dudley replied, struggling to do the math in his head. Harry, spotting the growing tantrum, was wolfing down his bacon while Nic, never a fan of the meat, simply sat back, looking at her twin in disgust.