73. Christmas Holidays

It was by far one of most draining holidays of Nic's life. Her work with Snape had become daily, causing her to have a constant throbbing headache as she attempted to spar and duel her other teachers. Needless to say, she was thrilled when Christmas arrived. She woke early in the morning, trying to ignore the pounding of her head. Quickly she changed into a black tube top and white jeans. She threw her hair up in a half-up/half-down style while slipping on some black flats and grabbing a grey cardigan.

A knock at the door caught her attention. "Hey," she greeted, spotting Tyriq.

"Hey," he replied. "So, uh, I wanted to see you before you go to the Burrow for Christmas. I know how much Sirius meant to you, so I made you something to remember him by." From his pocket he drew a small book. Nic took it and, flipping through, saw pictures of Nic and Sirius together.

"Thank you," Nic replied, looking up at him with tears in her eyes. "I, uh, got you something too." What she handed him was a pair of dog tags hanging from a silver chain. "American muggles use them," Nic explained. "You can engrave whatever you want on them. Images, names, whatever you want."

"Thank you," Tyriq replied. Looking at them a moment, he pointed his wand and muttered under his breath. Nic looked curiously and saw a phoenix on the metal, only it had a scar the same place Nic did. Smiling at the sweet gesture, Nic kissed him.

"I have to go to the Weasley's now," she said, pulling away.

"Okay, bye," he replied, kissing her again briefly.

Nic grabbed her presents for the others and apparated to the Burrow. "Hello Molly," Nic greeted warmly, hugging her.

"Hello, dear," she replied.

"The others still asleep?" Nic asked. At Mrs. Weasley's 'yes' Nic headed upstairs. Quietly she opened the door to the room Ron and Harry were sharing. After setting their presents on the pile, she dropped off Ginny's and one for Fred, George, and Bill. Next she handed presents to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley downstairs.

"Oh thank you," Mr. Weasley exclaimed, seeing the book about the mechanics of airplanes.

"Harry told me you always wanted to know how they stay up," Nic explained as Mrs. Weasley gave her a hug with the new pair of robes she had gotten her over her arm.

"Nic!" Ginny exclaimed, running towards her.

"Hey, Ginny," Nic replied, hugging her tightly. "I missed you."

"Hey," Harry greeted a little stiffly. Nic sighed.

Stepping towards him, she said, "Harry, it's Christmas. I know we're not super close right now, but...can we set it aside at least for today?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "Merry Christmas." He gave her a hug and they sat down for breakfast. The morning was spent talking together in the family room with much laughter and jokes. Many of them also gave Nic her Christmas presents.

"Fred, George, you really didn't have to!" Nic exclaimed, looking at a piece of parchment that allowed her to have her choice of any ten things from their shop.

"We couldn't think of anything else," they defended with a laugh. Nic chuckled, giving them both hugs. Soon Christmas lunch was in full swing.

"Harry, you've got a maggot in your hair," Ginny chuckled cheerfully, reaching over and pulling it from his hair. Nic smirked as she took a bite of her mashed potatoes, nudging Harry gently.

"Sod off," he muttered, causing Nic to let out a laugh.

"Okay, lover boy," Nic chuckled quietly before turning to Fred and beginning to talk about the shop.

"Arthur!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed, looking out the window. "It's Percy! Arthur he's with the Minister."

The back door opened and Percy greeted stiffly, "Merry Christmas, Mother."

"Oh, Percy!" she exclaimed, quickly hugging him.

"You must forgive this intrusion," the Minister said. "Percy and I were in the vicinity, working, you know, and he couldn't resist dropping in and seeing you all." Fred and George observed him stony faced as Nic stood, crossing her arms and glaring at him harshly.

"Please, come in, sit down, Minister!" Mrs. Weasley said, flustered. "Have a little purkey, or some tooding...I mean-"

"No, no, my dear Molly," Scrimgeour interrupted. "I don't want to intrude, wouldn't be here at all if Percy hadn't wanted to see you all so badly..."

"Oh, Perce!" Molly exclaimed, hugging her son tightly and kissing his cheek.

"We've only looked in for five minutes, so I'll have a stroll around the yard while you catch up with Percy. No, no, I assure you I don't want to butt in! Well, if anybody cared to show me your charming garden...Ah, that young man's finished, why doesn't he take a stroll with me."

"Yeah, all right," Harry replied, getting up.

Once he was gone, Nic grabbed her sweater and muttered, "Oh hell no." She began to head towards the door when Percy grabbed hold of her arm warningly. Clenching her jaw, Nic said threateningly, "Let me go, Percy."

"He's perfectly fine, just stay here," he replied. Scoffing, Nic elbowed him hard in the ribs and left the house, the sound of his wince causing her to smirk. The moment she was out of sight of the door, Nic changed into her phoenix form and perched at the top of the house, watching with her keen eyes as the two wizards talked in the garden. She was too far away to hear, but she was more worried about him attempting to harm Harry than anything he had to say. Soon, however, he returned and Nic came back, shooting a glare at Percy.

Grabbing hold of her upper arm as she passed, he hissed, "You shouldn't involve yourself in the affairs of someone much more important than you."

"I may not be able to use magic, Perce," Nic hissed, ignoring the glares Fred, George, and Mr. Weasley were sending him, "but you can bet your life on the fact that I can beat you to a pulp without a bit of magic. So, I suggest you let go of me." Scrimgeour had heard every word and was looking rather apprehensive. Percy let go, shoving her away from him and leaving the house with the Minister. Nic was glaring at the spot he disappeared for several minutes before turning back to the others, her steel eyes flashing dangerously.

"Thank you for lunch and the warm welcome," Nic said coldly, sending a final glare in the direction Percy had disappeared. "I need to head out." Without another word, Nic headed out the door to the spot she could apparate and disappeared.

"I kind of wish she had beaten up Percy," Fred said quietly.

"Do you think she could?" George asked.

"She could," Remus admitted. "She's been taking defensive training for a year now. She was specifically trained to handle a witch or wizard even if she doesn't have a wand."

"What are you training her for anyways?" Harry asked. "She's never given me a straight answer."

"Come on, Harry, use your imagination," Lupin countered. "What do you think we're training her for? Why do you think she's never in classes? Everything she's doing is for the Order."

"So, the Order is the reason I haven't had a conversation with my sister since fifth year," Harry muttered bitterly.

"Harry, everything she's doing is her choice," Mr. Weasley sighed. "She agreed to all of it. She's doing what she can."

"Right," Harry muttered irritably before getting to his feet and leaving the room, Ron following behind soon after.