30. Quidditch World Cup

They all landed roughly, everyone apart from Cedric, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Diggory falling. Nic almost fell, but Cedric quickly grabbed onto her waist, steadying her. "Thanks," she replied shyly, trying to hide her blush. They all made it to their campsite and Cedric and Mr. Diggory left.

"I saw that," Ginny said in a sing-song voice. "I saw that little blush."

"Oh shut up," Nicki grumbled, although she smiled widely. Once the tents were set up, they entered, amazed at the shear size of the insides of the tents. Nicki, Ginny, and Hermione set up in the girl's tent while the boys set up.

"Nic, we're going to get water," Harry said, stepping into the tent. "Do you want to come?"

"No," Nic sighed. "I'm going to try and get some sleep before the game."

"Okay," he replied. "Sleep well."

"Let's hope so," Nic sigh as he left. After getting a few hour's sleep, Nic joined everyone else and they headed to the match.

The adults were all talking, Nic ignoring them, until she caught, "Ah, and here's Lucius."

"Ah, Fudge," Lucius greeted, shaking hands with the minister. "How are you? I don't think you've met my wife, Narcissa? Or our son, Draco?"

"How do you do? How do you do?" Fudge replied. Nic rolled her eyes as he rambled on before he finished, "And let's see who else - you know Arthur Weasley, I darsay?"

"Good lord, Arthur," Lucius said, scanning over everyone. "What did you have to sell to get in the Top Box? Surely your house wouldn't have fetched this much?"

"Lucius has just given a very generous contribution to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, Arthur. He's here as my guest."

"How - how nice," Arthur replied tensely. Lucius' eyes scanned over the group. His eyes landed on Hermione with distain before turning to Nic. His lips curled before he turned back and moved to his seat with his family. The game passed in a daze of excitement before it was all over.

"Nic!" Cedric called, running up to her.

"Hey," she replied, turning to face him.

"So, listen, Ginny told me about your little sleeping problem," he explained. "And I managed to talk to my dad."

"Ced," Nic sighed, knowing where this was going. "You really didn't have to."

"Yes, I did," he countered. "Here. It should keep you asleep for at least seven hours."

"Thank you, Ced," Nic replied, hugging him tightly. "I really appreciate it." Without thinking about it, she kissed his cheek before running off to the tent. Cedric smiled, blushing faintly as he glancing at the ground. Letting out a small laugh, he turned, heading back to his own tent. Once curled up in bed, Nic took the potion and soon she was fast asleep.

Hours later, Mr. Weasley shouted, "Where's Nic?!"

"I'll get her!" Harry shouted, rushing into the girl's tent, but as much as she shook her, she wouldn't wake. "She won't wake up!"

"Oh no," Hermione exclaimed, spotting the bottle next to her. "It's a sleeping potion. She won't wake!"

"Then we have to carry her," Harry replied, picking her up. He wasn't strong enough to carry her, so Hermione had to help.

"We'll take her," Fred offered.

"Thanks," Harry replied, letting them take her. Everyone lost each other in the craziness of the night, but eventually everyone was in the boy's tent. Bill was sitting at the kitchen table with a bedsheet to his bleeding arm. Charlie, Ginny, Fred, and George were sitting at the table with him. Percy was leaning against the wall and Nic had been laid on the couch as the potion was still in effect.

They had to explain everything that happened with the mark. "I'm sorry," a voice cried, rushing into the tent. It was Cedric.

"Cedric, what's going on?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"The potion," he explained frantically. "Nic told me she has insomnia years ago and when I found out she ran out, I gave her one of the sleeping draughts my dad always has because he has a less severe version of the same thing. I thought-"

"Cedric," Mr. Weasley interrupted. "All is well. You were only trying to help."

"Yeah, and I could've gotten her killed," Cedric snapped.

"What's going on?" Nic asked, sitting up with sleep in her eyes.

"What's going on, is he could've killed you!" Harry snapped, glaring at Cedric.

"What?" Nicki asked, looking between Harry's angry expression and Cedric's guilty one.

"Death Eaters went a little mad," Hermione explained quietly. "Wrecked havoc on the camp and we couldn't wake you because of the potion."

Understanding crossed her face as she got up. "Cedric, it's not your fault. You were just trying to help."

"How can you just forgive him, Nic?!" Harry shouted, stepping forward.

Letting out a groan, Nic retorted, "Harry, this protective brother act is sweet and everything, but Cedric is one of my best friends, he would never hurt me on purpose. Just leave him alone. He didn't mean any harm. He was trying to help." Scoffing, Harry stormed out of the tent. With a sigh, Nic turned back to Cedric. "It's okay, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Don't," Nic countered, putting a hand up to stop him. "No harm done." Quickly she hugged him and he left. Turning back to the others, she sighed. "It's not his fault."

"We know," Ginny replied quietly. "Harry's just being...Harry. We all know that Cedric was just trying to help."

"Yeah," Mr. Weasley agreed. "He seems like a good friend." Without another word, the girls retreated into their tent.

"You cannot say that you don't like Cedric," Ginny teased. "The way you jumped to his defense back there."

"Ginny, we can tease Nicki later," Hermione interrupted, although she smiled slightly. "Right now we should get some sleep."

"Fine," Ginny agreed, getting into her bunk. The other two girls slept while Nic lay awake. After a time, she moved out to sit by the fire pit. An hour later, she heard footsteps and someone sat down beside her.

"I'm really sorry," Cedric said quietly.

"Cedric," Nic sighed, turning to face him. "It's not your fault." Letting out a sigh, Cedric turned to look at her as well. Nic's heart skipped a beat as his eyes met hers and he began to lean in towards her. Their lips were inches apart when the tent behind them flapped open.

"Ah, Nic, you're already awake," Mr. Weasley said, stepping towards them and failing to notice the moment he'd interrupted. "Hello Cedric." Going red, Cedric stuttered a hasty response and left. In no time at all, it seemed, they were back at the Burrow.