35. Halloween

The Halloween feast passed very slowly until finally the plates cleared and Dumbledore stood. "Well," he began, "the goblet is almost ready to make it's decision. I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through to the next chamber where they will receive their first instructions. I ask their companions to do the same."

As everyone watched, the flames of the goblet suddenly flamed red. A piece of parchment was spat out and Dumbledore caught it in his hand. Unconsciously, Nic grabbed onto Cedric's hand. "The champion for Durmstrang," Dumbledore read, "will be Victor Krum, Cragen Sullivan as his companion." Hearty applause broke out. Then a second parchment came out. "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour! Camille Monet as her companion!"

They had finally gotten to the Hogwarts champion. Nic was squeezing Cedric's hand so tightly at this point his fingers were going numb. Finally, the goblet spat out a parchment. "The Hogwarts champion is Cedric Diggory!" The Hufflepuff table exploded in cheers so that it was barely heard when Dumbledore added, "Nicole Potter as his companion!"

"You did it, Ced!" Nic exclaimed, hugging him tightly. Then, hand in hand, they entered the room they had been directed to. Once inside, Krum and Fleur nodded in acknowledgment of the two of them as they turned to the fire. Next moment, the door opened and Harry entered.

"Harry?" Nic said, confused.

"What is it?" Fleur asked in her French accent. "Do zey want us back in ze Great Hall?"

Harry didn't say anything as Ludo Bagman rushed in, exclaiming, "Extraordinary! Absolutely extraordinary! Ladies and Gentleman, may I introduce - incredible as it may seem - the forth Triwizard Champion?" Cedric and Nic shared a look as if they were trying to decide if he was serious or not.

"Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Bagman," Fleur laughed.

"Joke?" Bagman repeated. "No, no, not at all. Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

"What?" Nic whispered, glancing at Cedric. Raising her voice, she snapped, "He can't compete. He's not the right age! And we already have a Hogwarts champion!" She didn't say this with menace, but worry contorted her features. At that moment, Professor Dumbledore, Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape stormed into the room.

Nic was holding onto Cedric's hand tightly as the professors argued back and forth. "This can't happen," Nic whispered so only Cedric could hear. "I've read about these tournaments and he won't survive. You will because you know more, but Harry?"

"Hey," Cedric interrupted. "It'll be fine."

"What if he doesn't survive?" Nic whispered quietly, her voice shaking.

"If anyone has a reason to complain, it's Potter," Moody growled. "But, funny thing, I don't hear a word from him."

"Why should he complain?" Fleur snapped.

"I don't know, because he might die?!" Nicki shouted, losing it. Moving from Cedric, she shouted, "Dumbledore, I will not watch my twin die in this stupid tournament!"

"Nicole," Dumbledore interrupted curtly. After a pause, he finished, "Mr. Diggory, if you wouldn't mind escorting Ms. Potter to the Hufflepuff common room."

"No! I'm fine," she protested.

"Nic," Cedric countered softly. "You need to process all of this and you're lashing out." His hands wrapped around her wrists as he said, "Nicki, I promise you we'll talk about all this once you've actually processed it." With a sigh, Nic nodded. "I'll be right back," Cedric added to the others, pulling Nic from the room.

Once they had left, Ludo Bagman remarked, "Poor girl, her brother and boyfriend in the tournament at that same time." Harry's eyes narrowed at the word 'boyfriend' but he said nothing. About fifteen minutes later, Cedric returned.

"Is all well with Ms. Potter, Mr. Diggory?" Dumbledore asked. He merely nodded and returned to his spot by the fire.