61. Chaos

March changed into April as Nic headed into the school for the first time since before Christmas. She had decided to attend one of the DA meetings Hermione had told her about. "They're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to protect you," Harry was saying patiently. "What we really need is a boggart or something; that's how I learned, I had to conquer a patronus while the boggart was pretending to be a dementor."

"I learned that way too," Nic said, earning everyone's attention.

"Nic?" Hermione exclaimed. "Where have you been?"

"I've been keeping busy," Nic replied, returning her hug. "Room for one more?"

"Sure," Harry replied. Nic had just cast a perfect patronus when the door opened and shut again. Dobby rushed over to Harry and began to talk to him, but Nic was unable to hear as they were too far off.

At last, she caught, "Yes, Harry Potter, yes!"

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?" Harry bellowed. "RUN!" Everyone ran towards the door. Everyone began to split off and sprint. Nic was running off to the Hufflepuff common room when someone suddenly tackled her to the ground.

"Get off me!" Nic screamed, managing to kick whoever it was in the gut. Jumping to her feet, she saw the Draco now had his wand pointed at her. "Oh, you don't want to do that, Malfoy," Nic warned.

"Sure about that?" Draco retorted. "Cru-" With a flick of her wand, Draco's had flown across the room. Before the fight could continue, someone hit her in the back with a spell, flinging her forward. Taking her wand, they dragged her towards Umbridge.

"I'll take her," Umbridge said and grabbed hold of her upper arm. Harry was with her and they were led up to Dumbledore's office. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk when they stepped into the room. McGonagall was standing stiffly next to him. Much to Nic's irritation, Fudge was also sitting across from Dumbledore with Kingsley Shacklebolt and another wizard. Percy Weasley also stood by.

"Well, well, well," Fudge drawled, glaring at the two of them.

"They were heading off to their common rooms," Umbridge explained. "The Malfoy boy got both of them."

"Did he, did he?" Fudge replied, smirking. "I must remember to tell Lucius. Well, Potter...I expect you both know why you're here?"

"Yeh...no," Harry replied.

"I beg your pardon?" Fudge retorted.

"No," Harry said firmly.

"You don't know why you're here?" Fudge repeated.

"No, I don't," Harry agreed.

"So, you have no idea," Fudge replied sarcastically. "Why Professor Umbridge had brought you to this office? You are not aware that you have broken any school rules?"

"School rules?" Harry repeated. "No."

"Or Ministry degrees?" Fudge countered angrily.

"Not that I'm aware of," Harry agreed. As Harry and Fudge kept squaring off, Nic chanced a glance at Dumbledore. He nodded ever so slightly. Nic looked back to the others and listened. Her eyes widened as she spotted the list Umbridge drew from her pocket. Discreetly, she pointed her wand at it and muttered under her breath. Instantly Tyriq's name disappeared. Dumbledore had seen this and nodded ever so slightly again.

"See what they've named themselves?" Fudge said shakily. "Dumbledore's Army."

Looking at the parchment a moment, Dumbledore sighed, "Well, the game is up. Would you like a written confession from me, Cornelius - or will a statement before these witnesses suffice?"

"Dumbledore," Nic said quietly.

"Statement?" Fudge said slowly. "What - I don't?"

"Dumbledore's Army, Cornelius," Dumbledore repeated. "Not Potter's Army. Dumbledore's Army."

"Dumbledore," Nic said warningly. "What are you doing?"

"Telling the truth, Nicole," he replied, looking her dead in the eye. "I'm telling everyone what I did. You see, we must all prepare to do what is right, no matter the cost." Nic's eyes widened, understanding his little message. Nic had to fight off every impulse as they attempted to arrest him before he disappeared.

"You'd better get them to bed," Fudge said irritably. McGonagall took the twins and lead them to Gryffindor common room where Harry left.

"I need to get back to the house," Nic said quietly.

"That may not be the best decision," McGonagall said quietly. "She will expel you if you're not in your classes."

"What exactly does she think I'm doing?" Nic asked.

"Studying abroad and coming back for Quidditch, I suppose," McGonagall replied.

"Then it needs to stay that way," Nic replied quietly. "This training may be the difference between life and death for me, for Harry, for Merlin knows who else. I can't stop now. I'll come back here for O.W.L.s."

"Very well," she agreed. "I shall inform her of the plan, however you should know that she won't like it."

"Oh well," Nic replied, not really caring.