74. A Third Twin Quidditch Battle

December soon blended into January and then February and finally March. Nic had been pushing her Quidditch team harder than ever, but it was looking up. They had won their first game and had their second one scheduled soon. Training also was getting harder and harder. However, she had finally managed to hold Snape off for ten hours with the mind attacks. He finally lightened up after that and her constant headaches lessened. It was a quiet day in early March when Nic was informed that Ron had been poisoned.

"Merlin, is Ron all right?" Nic exclaimed, running into the hospital wing.

"He'll be fine," Harry replied from his spot next to him.

"Good," Nic replied, sitting by Fred and George. "Sorry, I just heard."

"Apparently the mead was meant for Dumbledore," Fred said.

"Crap," Nic muttered, her eyes widening. "I have to go. I'm sorry."

"But you just-" Harry began, but Nic was already dashing out the door.

She ran into Tyriq as she did so and he whispered quickly, "I didn't know. I'll be at the house at seven tonight." Nic back from him and went straight to Dumbledore's office. She stormed in to find him sitting at his desk.

"This has to stop," Nic said lowly. "What is the use of having bloody spies if they don't do a damn thing?"

"Nicole," Dumbledore began.

"Two people of gotten seriously hurt because of Malfoy!"

"Nicole, I am well aware," Dumbledore retorted. "Do you honestly think I would sit here in my office and knowingly allow my students to be hurt?!"

"No, sir," Nic replied, stepping towards him. "But that doesn't mean I'll see anyone else hurt."

"And how is what has happened my fault?" Dumbledore replied calmly.

"It isn't," Nic sighed, deflated. "I'm just taking out my frustration on you because you're the only other person who is having to shoulder the kind of responsibility that I do."

With a small chuckle, he praised, "Well at least you're aware. Now, if you're done, I believe you have a Quidditch match coming up."

"Yes, sir," Nic replied. She had changed Quidditch practice to daily and was keeping the team to some very late hours. "All right, team!" Nic called once they'd landed the night before the match. "Whatever happens tomorrow, I am so proud of all the work you've put into practices this year so far. I am so proud of all of you so whatever happens tomorrow, remember that. I believe in all of you. There is no reason we can't win tomorrow. We have a stellar keeper, two fine beaters, one hell of a seeker, and three damn fine chasers if I do say so myself."

"Hear, hear!" Smith called with a smirk. The next morning, they all got ready in the locker rooms. Nic was oddly quiet as she changed into her robes.

"Well, uh, I basically gave my speech last night," Nic said, facing her team nervously. Taking a deep breath, she added in a stronger voice, "We're going to kill it. Good luck everyone." Once they'd all hugged, he team headed out. Soon they were on the field, facing the Gryffindor teams.

"Captains shake hands," Madam Hooch ordered. Harry and Nic did so before both teams mounted their brooms.

"And that's Potter of Hufflepuff with the Quaffle," said the dreamy voice of Luna Lovegood. Nic streamed down the field with the Quaffle in hand before tossing it to Smith. Unfortunately it was intercepted by Ginny who smirked at Nic's irritated look. Soon Cadwallader got the Quaffle and tossed it to Nic just before she scored, getting past McLaggen easily as he was lecturing Ginny.

Nic groaned in irritation as Ginny and another Gryffindor chaser scored again. Soon after, though, Cadwallader scored and Nic gave him a high five as he shot passed. Nic scored twice more and Cadwallader scored once. Soon the Hufflepuff seeker was streaking for the snitch and Nic spotted McLaggen hit Harry with a beater's bat. "HARRY!" Nic screamed, diving towards him. He was falling from at least a hundred feet and Nic knew he was unlikely to survive that. Next moment, she felt something heavy hit her from above and all went black.