84. Truth and Torture

Nic stared into his face for a moment before making a choice that had numerous unknown outcomes. "I am," Nic whispered. It fell dead quiet.

After the silence had been broken by another scream, Tyriq moved away from her without looking away and shouted, "We've got her! We've got Phoenix!" Hermione's screams broke into sobs as the door flung open. Bellatrix stood there, smirking evilly.

"We'll question her later," she decided. "For now, tie her up. I can handle her."

Once she'd gone, Nic said, "I want to see those people that were brought in here after me."

"Why?" Tyriq retorted.

"Like I'd tell you," Nic spat. Next moment there was a tremendous crash and the door opened again. Instinctively, Tyriq grabbed hold of Nic, his wand to her throat as Harry stood facing them, wand raised. "Harry, just leave me," Nic ordered. "I'll be fine."

"But-" Harry protested.

"GO HARRY!" Nic shouted, spotting Bellatrix approach from behind him. "GO I'LL BE FINE!" At last, Harry was pulled away by Ron and they disaparated. The next moment, a pale figure appeared in the living room.

"WHERE IS HE?" Voldemort screamed, looking around at them all before his eyes landed on Tyriq. "Is that-"

"I found Phoenix," Tyriq stated, stepping into the room.

"Well at least one of you isn't completely useless," Voldemort snapped, stepping toward Nic. "Bring her out here." Tyriq did so and shoved her to the ground where she remained as if frozen although she began to shake. Crouching down next to her, Voldemort asked, "Where has Harry Potter gone?" Nic said nothing, only remained still on the ground. The truth was she had no idea, but she knew Old Voldy wouldn't believe that. "WHERE IS HARRY POTTER?!"

Letting out a low groan, Voldemort said in his soft, dangerous voice, "I don't want to hurt you, Phoenix, but if you don't tell me what I want, you will be begging for death."

"No," Nic retorted lowly. "I will never."

"Crucio!" Voldemort shouted, pointing his wand at Nic. Instantly her screams filled the room. It was much more intense than any other time before. She needed something to hold onto so she didn't snap. Her eyes scanned over the room, trying to find some anchor, something to cling to. In the back of the room, Nic spotted Tyriq looking at her with a mixture of sympathy and an almost analytical air.

Nic was sobbing on the floor as she searched her memories, holding onto thoughts of her and Tyriq. Flying through the Forbidden Forest, meeting Sirius, playing in the snow. Before she could think further, pain rushed over her again. Her mind vividly clutched onto the memory of finding Tyriq in the common room during her summer of training. She saw as if she was back there as she rushed into his arms. She even thought she could feel his arms around her and soon after his lips against hers.

Another flash of pain erupted through her and Nic curled into herself, holding onto those memories and even ones she thought up. "Ready to talk now?" Voldemort drawled. Nic said nothing, she merely sobbed on the floor, holding onto herself tightly. "Very well." Next moment she felt pain in just her head and Voldemort tried to get in there. Thank Merlin for Snape. She avoided him easily as he kept going on and on. Next moment she was hit by the curse and felt him trying to look in her mind but she kept him out.

After what seemed hours and hours, it all stopped. "Take her to the dungeons," Voldemort ordered. "I'll come back and try again tomorrow." Nic was vaguely aware of being picked up and placed somewhere cold before she let her eyes open. It was a dungeon like he had said. Nic closed her eyes wearily and tried to get some sleep. She had merely begun to doze when she heard footsteps at the door.

"You should be sleeping," Tyriq said.

"You should be not caring," Nic snapped back weakly, not moving.

"Well I was going to give you some food and water, but if you'd rather not-" Tyriq began.

"No!" Nic cried, opening her eyes. She turned, beginning to crawl over to him with many cries and groans of pain. "P-Please." Tyriq passed a small bit of a sandwich through the bars of the door and Nic quickly ate it. After that, he gave her some water. "Why?" Nic asked, looking up at him suspiciously.

"Why are you so suspicious?" Tyriq countered with a small smirk.

"You and your little buddies just tortured me," Nic retorted.

Tyriq seemed to hear something as his head snapped over towards the top of the stairs. "I got to go," he said before disappearing. Nic lay back and closed her eyes. Hours passed before she began to doze and at last her exhaustion took over and she fell asleep.

A dark shadowy figure stood before her. "Crucio!" the figure shouted.

"Don't hurt her!" James shouted, rushing forward. With a flash of green he fell dead to the floor. When Nic looked again, it wasn't James on the ground, it was Sirius. Then it changed again to Cedric and then Harry and finally Tyriq.

"Crucio!" Bellatrix cackled as Nic's screams and sobs echoed in her ear. Then Voldemort shouted the same before it all stopped.

Nic shot up with a scream and found she was in the dungeon again. She hadn't had a nightmare since fourth year. Every muscle in her body burned as she lay back on the ground. "Bring her up here!" Bellatrix ordered irritably. Next moment the door was opened and Tyriq appeared. He grabbed hold of her and pulled her to her feet, causing her to gasp in pain and collapse against him. It was strange to be so near to him again while he had no idea who she was. He half carried her up the stairs to face Bellatrix and Voldemort again. With them now was also Snape.

"Severus," Nic groaned as Tyriq let go and her burning muscles gave out, causing her to collapse to the ground.

"So this is Phoenix," Snape drawled. "Pity. I'd have thought her older and much more...adapt to facing pain."

"You ready to tell us anything?" Voldemort drawled. Nic remained silent and soon her screams echoed through the room again. Then, at long last, she felt something in her snap. Snape has gotten into her mind. Nic saw flashes of the torture she'd suffered and Tyriq, seeing Dumbledore killed, and even flashes of her training. Before he saw any more, Nic managed to shove him out, but she noticed an expression of comprehension. He knew who she was.