38. The Yule Ball

"You okay?" Tyriq asked, sitting down next to Nic as she scribbled out an essay. "I heard about your shouting match in the hallway with Harry." Angrily, she slammed her quill on the table.

"He was acting like he can control me. What was I supposed to do?" Nic snapped, shooting him a glare.

"Hey, I don't blame you," Ty assured.

"Sorry," Nic fumed. "I'm just tired of Harry. He ignores me whenever it's not the summer and he just..."

"Yeah, I know," Tyriq sighed.

After a pause, Nic asked, "I know you don't like talking about it, but how's Tyrone?"

"No different," Tyriq said, going quiet.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned it," Nic said quietly.

"No," Tyriq said, his tone still hushed and quiet. "He was your friend too. It's okay."
.............................................
"Hey," Cedric greeted as Nic left History of Magic. "So I wanted to formerly ask you. Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?"

"Of course," Nic replied, smiling warmly at him. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Harry glaring at him. "I can't wait." Cedric quickly pressed his lips to hers. Nic couldn't help smirking at the disgusted sound that left Harry's mouth. Finally Christmas rolled around. It was finally time for the ball. Nic changed into her dress robes and began to do her hair. "What color should I do?" Nic asked.

"Maybe black?" Hannah suggested, changing into her own dress robes.

"Or you could go with white," Susan added. Nic changed her hair both ways and decided on the black. Next she changed her eyes to exactly the same shade as the royal blue dress. Looking in the mirror, she put on cat eyeliner and mascara. Once she had on her heels and some pink lipstick, Nic headed down the stairs. Cedric was talking to Tyriq at the bottom of the stairs when Nic appeared.

"Wow," Cedric breathed, catching sight of her.

"She's beautiful," Tyriq whispered.

"What?" Cedric replied, not catching what he'd said.

"Nothing," Ty lied. Nicole was blushing furiously as she came over to Cedric.

"You look amazing," he said, grabbing her hand. Tyriq, who was going with Hannah, followed after them as they headed to the Great Hall. When they had almost reached it, Tyriq suddenly stopped Hannah and waited until Cedric and Nic were out of earshot.

"Hannah, I need to tell you something," Tyriq admitted. "I'd feel like rubbish if I didn't tell you. I-"

"You like Nic," Hannah interrupted, giving him a small smile. "I know. I see the way you look at her."

"You won't tell her, will you?" Ty asked.

"No," she assured. "Nic is my friend, but I wouldn't rat you out like that."

"Thanks," he replied. "And I'm sorry if there was some kind of miscommunication. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think..."

"It's okay," she assured. "I'm just glad I have someone to go with." While the two were talking, Cedric and Nic were being called by McGonagall.

"Champions, over here please!" she called. Once they had all gathered, she ordered, "Wait over here while the others go in." Anxiety fluttered in Nicki's stomach as they waited. She was a fair dancer, but dancing in front of the entire school was bloody terrifying.

"Stop worrying," Cedric whispered, grabbing hold of her hand. Rubbing his thumb over her knuckles, he added, "I'll be right by your side the whole time. It's going to be fun." Nic tried to believe him, but her nerves failed her. With a small chuckle, Cedric kissed her forehead and waited for them to be allowed to go in. While they were waiting however, Nic surveyed those with them. Fleur was with Rodger Davis, the Ravenclaw Quidditch captain. Harry was with Parvati, one of his fellow Gryffindor's, and Krum had come with...

"Hermione?" Nic exclaimed. "Merlin, you look amazing."

"Thank you," she replied, moving over to her with Krum so the four of them could talk. Turning to Krum, Hermione explained, "Nic is one of my best friends. Nicki, this is Victor Krum, as you know."

"Nice to be formerly introduced," Nic replied, shaking his hand. "I saw you at the World Cup. That was a brilliant bit of flying."

"Thank you," he replied. "You play at all?"

"She's a damn fine chaser," Cedric replied proudly. "Best on the team, in fact. I'm the Quidditch captain. Seeker." Before they could talk more, McGonagall had them all line up in pairs. Nic felt her nervousness return as they walked down the Great Hall towards the judge's table. They all took their seats for dinner. Everyone was given a menu and once they had ordered, they began to eat. Nic was a complete bundle of nerves and excitement the entire meal, meaning she didn't eat much.

"You know what I just realized," Nic remarked. "We're the only ones out of the partners that are actually dating."

"Oh that's true," Cedric said, thinking it through. "Although, I think Hermione and Krum are hitting it off." They certainly were. The two seemed to be enjoying a delightful conversation and a pale pink dusted Hermione's cheeks. Soon, however, the meal was over and the tables were moved to the sides. Cedric grabbed her hand and, giving her an encouraging smile, led her to the center of the floor. Cedric placed his left hand on her waist and grabbed hold of her left hand with his right.

Her left hand rested on her shoulder as they began to dance. They danced through the night, not taking notice of those around them. A few hours later, they retreated outside in the garden. It was rather chilly outside and Nic began to shiver. Letting out a small chuckle, Cedric shed his coat and wrapped it around her shoulders. Blushing, Nic said, "Thank you."

"You're adorable when you blush," Cedric said, cupping her cheek with his hand. Her blushed deepened as a small chuckled left her lips and she bit her lip. Shifting his hand to her chin, Cedric lifted her head so that he could kiss her. Nic tangled her hands in his hair, deepening the kiss as his other hand moved to her waist. Suddenly he pulled away. "I forgot to tell you," Cedric said, suddenly remembering. "I figured out the egg."

"That's what you were thinking about?" Nic laughed with a teasing grin.

"W-what, no, I just," Cedric laughed, his cheeks suddenly flushed. "I planned on telling you when we were heading down to the ball, but then I got a little distracted."

"Oh?" Nic replied. "By what?"

"Well," Cedric replied with a grin. "There's this beautiful girl I know, and somehow, she got even more beautiful. I didn't think it was possible." With a small laugh, Nic pressed her lips back to his.

"Tell me all about the egg tomorrow," Nic said, pulling away slightly. "Tonight, let's just have fun."

"I can do that," Cedric replied. "You want to head back inside and dance some more? It ends at midnight and it's already eleven thirty."

"Gosh, is it really that late?" Nic replied. "Let's go have one last dance then." Back inside, they had a few more dances before the last song began to play. Cedric really was a brilliant dancer, something that made him even more attractive in Nic's opinion, and they had managed to gather a small crowd around them, cheering them on. In the last few bars of the song, Cedric spun Nicki away from him, their hands still intertwined, before pulling her back.

Her arms were crossed over herself and her back was to his chest, both her hands in his and their faces were inches apart. As the last note played, Cedric kissed her, causing the crowd around them to break out in 'aw's. With a happy smile, Cedric pulled away and everyone began to head back to their common rooms.