32. Unforgivable Curses

The week began with the same mundane classes that were far below Nic's level. She had stopped even trying to listen by the time she got to DADA. They had a new teacher this year, unfortunately, and he was very...interesting. Mad-Eye Moody instantly told them to put away their books. "You won't be needing them," he added. After calling roll, he said, "Right then. I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling dark creatures. You've covered boggarts, red caps, hinkypunks, grindylows, kappas, and werewolves, is that right?"

"But you're behind, very behind on dealing with curses," Moody resumed. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with dark-"

"What, aren't you staying?" Ron interrupted.

"You'll be Arthur Weasley's son..." The class droned on, but Nic stopped paying attention and began scratching on a sheet of paper. "Potter!" Moody shouted. Both Potters looked up, alarmed.

"Er, which one?" Harry asked, glancing back at Nic.

"The one that wasn't paying attention," Moody retorted, glaring at Nic. "So you don't feel the need to pay attention, ay Potter?"

"I'm sure I can catch up," Nic replied nonchalantly, going back to her drawling.

"That so?" Moody growled. "Tell me, Potter, what are the three unforgivable curses?"

"Cruciatus Curse, which causes unbearable pain, the Imperius Curse, which allows the user to control the actions of the victim; and the Killing Curse, which kills them," she explained, not looking up or pausing.

"Can you tell me anything else about them?"

"The Imperius Curse was used by Voldemort to turn wizards and witches to his side. Many Death Eaters claimed to have been under it and there was no way to determine if they were lying or not. The Cruciatus Curse was often used by him for torture, sometimes even against people's children as a painful way for them to die."

"Ay," he agreed grimly. Only one child is known to have survived that, Ms. Potter. Just as there is only one person known to have survived the killing curse. And they're both in this room." Everyone's eyes darted between the twins. Nic still hadn't looked up, although she'd stopped drawling, when Moody got out three spiders. The first he controlled the actions of. Nic felt sick to her stomach. Next he showed the Cruciatus Curse on another spider.

Neville and Nic both looked very sick. Neville's fist was clenched, his knuckles white, and his eyes wide and horrified. Nic was as pale as a ghost as she was almost green. Her hair had changed to a thin white and her eyes were a very pale, very dull grey. "Stop it!" Hermione screamed suddenly, looking nervously between Neville and Nic. Moody looked up, seeing the two of them. Without a word, Nic got to her feet, grabbed her bag, and ran from the room.

With an irritated huff, Tyriq grabbed his own stuff and left, glaring at Moody as he did so. As he had found her so many times before, Nic was in her bird form, perched at the top of the Astronomy Tower. Landing next to her, he looked where her eyes were directly. She was staring off into the forest. Nic was thinking about Siri. For hours they sat, staring at the retreating sun. At last, they flew down to the Astronomy Tower and changed back. "You okay?" Ty asked softly as she changed her hair and eyes back to black and grey.

"No," she said, "but I'll be fine. It was just triggering."

"Okay," he sighed before giving her a hug.
......................................
Next DADA class, Moody began performing the Imperious Curse on each of them one by one. "Potter," Moody growled, fixing an eye on Nic. "You next." She stepped forward. Pointing his wand at her, he shouted, "Imperio!" A feeling of eerie calm washed over her. It was a wonderful feeling. A voice in her head commanded, "Do a cartwheel."

"Why?" another voice in her head retorted. "What purpose would that serve?"

"Just do it!"

"Nah, I'm good, homie."

"DO IT!"

After a moment's pause, Nic looked over at Moody and asked, "Was-" Before she could say more, overwhelming pain spread through her body. A scream left her lips next and she fell to the ground, clutching her head. Next moment the pain was gone.

"Nic?" Harry said quietly, kneeling beside her. "Are you all right?" She nodded weakly before he fixed his glaring eyes on Moody. "Was that really necessary to prove your point?!"

"That wasn't supposed to happen," Moody said, looking confused. "If your mind is strong enough to resist it, you just resist it. It doesn't cause pain like that." Shaking slightly, Nic backed up to sit in a corner of the room as Harry had a go. Tyriq sat down beside her. With a sigh, she lay her head on his shoulder. Soon class was over and they both finally got to leave.