54. Detention

"That was stupid," Tyriq hissed, running into the empty common room. "Did you not hear everything she said at the feast?"

"Of course I did," Nic retorted in a harsh whisper. "I lost it, okay? I've accepted that. I'll do better next time."

With a sigh, he replied, "Look, I just want you to be careful, all right?"

"Yeah," Nic sighed. "I know. I'll be careful."

"Thank you," he replied. "I can't do this if I don't know that you're safe."

"Didn't know you cared so much," Nic teased with a small smile.

"I've always cared," he said quietly as she turned to go to her dorm.

The next day passed with dread filling Nic as she waited for her detention. After dinner, she headed for the toad's office. "Harry," she greeted quietly as he stood looking frustratedly at Umbridge.

"Now, you're going to be doing some lines for me," Umbridge said. Nic and Harry both began to reach for her quill before she protested, "No, not with your quill. You're going to be using a rather special one of mine. Here you are. I want you to write, I must not tell lies."

"How many times?" Harry asked coolly.

"Oh, as long as it takes the message to...sink in," she replied. "Off you go."

"What about ink?" Nic asked as the woman stepped back towards her desk.

"Oh, you wont need any ink," she replied. With a repressed groan, Nic wrote the first line. Instantly a small wince left her lips. Harry and Nic shared startled expressions as cuts appeared on the back of their hands. Instantly they healed over, leaving the skin smooth and very red. Harry looked up at the toad with a startled expression. "Yes?"

"Nothing," Harry scoffed, turning back to his parchment. Both of them scratched onto the parchment with their own blood for hours and hours.

At last, she ordered, "Come here." Once they'd approached, she said, "Hand." Looking over their hands carefully, she said, "Mr. Potter, you may go."

"What about..." Harry began.

"Harry," Nic interrupted, glancing over at him. "I'm fine, just go." Reluctantly he left.

"Well? Resume," Umbridge ordered. Nic did so. Umbridge began to pace around her and she began to talk. "You know, I always wondered if there was something...sour in the Potter line. Seeing how you and your brother turned out, I'd have to say I was right. They were all right until James. Bastard went and married a filthy little mudblood!" Nic stopped, her grip tightening on the cursed quill. "Does that anger you? Feel defensive of your disgusting mother?" Nic took a deep, calming breath and continued writing.

She just wants a rise out of you.

Stay clam.
Stay calm.
Stay calm.

It was midnight when she finally let her go. Entering the common room, Nic gripped her hand tightly. It was bleeding lightly. "Hey, how was detention?" Ty asked tiredly, looking up from his essay.

"Fine," she whimpered, sitting down next to him.

"Merlin, Nic!" he shouted, grabbing hold of her hand. His eyes widened as he read over the words. "Nic what the hell happened?"

"Umbridge," she explained quietly, staring into the fire.

"Jesus, Nic," Ty sighed, looking over her hand which he was still holding. "You have to report this."

"Are you crazy?" Nic retorted, moving her eyes to look at him. "Umbridge is here on Fudge's orders. Anything Dumbledore, McGonagall, Sprout, anyone did would just get them fired."

"You still have to tell the Order," he countered. "This is torture, Nic."

"Okay," Nic agreed. "I'll write up a report first thing tomorrow morning."

"I'm sorry, Nic," Tyriq said quietly. "You don't deserve this."

"What if I do?" Nic asked quietly.

"What? How can you say that?" Ty snapped, grabbing hold of her other hand.

"Cedric," she whispered.

"Nic, you can't blame yourself for that," Tyriq countered quietly. "You might have been able to save him when they went to that graveyard, but you also might have gotten yourself or Harry killed as well. You can't know what would have happened." Letting out a shaky breath, Nic tightened her grip on Ty's hands. Tyriq wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry you have to deal with me like this," Nic whispered.

"Hey, no," Tyriq interrupted. "You're my best friend and I care about you. I don't mind."