40. Gossip Articles

Now that Sirius was back, Nic began making her regular trips to bring him food. Every two days she flew out to Hogsmeade with a bundle and left it in the cave he was staying. When she was returning from one of these trips, a magazine on Hannah's bed caught her eye. On the front was a picture of Cedric and Nic at the Yule Ball and right next to it was a picture of her with Tyriq. Furrowing her eyebrows in confusion, she flipped to the article and read...

Nicole Potter, companion in the Triwizard Tournament to champion Cedric Diggory, and sister to Harry Potter, finds herself in a disastrous love triangle. She and her boyfriend, Cedric Diggory, have been seeing each other for four years now, since the beginning of her Hogwarts days. The couple often spent time together, but it is now discovered that she has feelings for her best friend, Tyriq Hufflepuff. The descendent of the famous Helga Hufflepuff has been friends with Nicole for years, according to inside sources, but she acts as more than friends around him.

Even more unfortunate, is that she is toying with the emotions of someone who has been dealing with his brother's permanent loss of memory. Tyrone Hufflepuff reached an all time low when he stood at the edge of a cliff on his family's property. Feeling hopeless, he jumped over the edge, hoping to end his life. He is now in St. Mungo's with permanent memory loss.

Angrily, Nic looked it see who had written it. Of course, Rita Skeeter. With a scream, she tore the paper and flung it out the window. Tyriq would be pissed. He hadn't told anyone apart from Cedric, Nic, and Hermione that Tyrone had lost his memory. Everyone else had been told that he had decided to go to another wizarding school in America. With an irritated scream, Nic stormed down to the common room. Instantly, several of the Hufflepuffs glared at her.

Cedric was sitting on the couch reading a book and seemed to have no idea what was going on. Sitting down beside him, Nic whispered, "We have a problem."

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"You know that Skeeter woman?" Nic hissed. He nodded. "She published this article saying that I have been with you since first year and that I'm emotionally cheating on you with Tyriq."

"What?" Cedric replied sharply, looking up from his book. Nic could tell he didn't believe it, but he was concerned about the effect this would cause.

"There's more," Nic admitted softly. "She exposed everything about Tyrone and even said that he attempted to commit suicide when he fell."

"Oh my god," Cedric exclaimed. "Where's Tyriq, has he seen it?"

"I don't know," Nic groaned anxiously. "I have to go find him."

"I'll check in his dorm," Cedric offered. "Wait here and I'll let you know." Nic nodded as he got up and left. She waited anxiously until he returned, shaking his head sadly.

"I think I know where he might be," Nic admitted. At a run, she left the common room and, making sure no one was around, changing into her bird form and flew to the Astronomy Tower. At the top, she changed back. "Ty," she whispered softly, seeing him sitting with his head against the rails.

"How'd you find me?" Tyriq snapped, not looking at her.

"You always come here when something's wrong," Nic replied quietly. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay. If you want me to leave you alone, I'll go."

"I'm surprised you're not berating me for why I didn't tell you," Ty said dully.

"Tell me what?"

"About Tyrone," he replied, his voice extremely quiet.

"I thought she was just lying," Nic admitted. "You don't mean...Tyrone didn't..."

"Yeah, he did," Tyriq whispered, his voice cracking. "My parents constantly try and make us perfect and Tyrone doesn't just get things like I do in classes. So, he just felt like he wasn't good enough, so he..."

"Ty," Nic whispered softly, tears in her eyes.

"And I had no idea," Ty cried, tears streaming down his cheeks. "I knew it was hard on him but I never thought that he'd...and then I had to tell you and Cedric and Hermione and I-I couldn't bring myself to..."

"Ty, you didn't have to tell us everything," Nic countered. "It's your right to not tell us everything." The two fell into silence as Tyriq cried. Letting out a calming breath, he lay his head on the railing, tears trailing down his cheeks. "It's okay," Nic whispered, wrapping an arm around him.

After a time, Tyriq asked, "Cedric doesn't believe..."

"Of course not," Nic replied. "We're all good. The three of us are good. Some drama-seeking gossip writer won't change that."

"Good," Ty replied with a smile.