43. The Third Task

"Again," Nic ordered. With a groan, Cedric tried the hex again. She had been at him for hours, trying to get him to learn several hexes, curses, counter-curses, and spells at once.

"Nic, we've been at this all day," Cedric groaned. "I love you, but this is a bit much."

"It's not like you have exams to study for," Nic chuckled. All the champions and companions had been exempt from exams that year, so neither of them had much to do.

"Come on," Cedric persuaded, "let's just get some sleep and go at it again tomorrow, okay?"

"Fine," Nic grumbled.

"Goodnight, love," Cedric said.

"Goodnight, Ced," she replied, kissing his cheek. With a small smile, Cedric kissed her properly, wrapping his arms around her waist. Nic's cheeks flushed as the kiss became more heated and Cedric slipped his tongue into her mouth. Her face as red as a tomato, she pulled away, breathing heavily and resting her forehead against his. Nic's hands had tangled in his hair as they kissed and when she opened her eyes, she was met my Cedric's bright, happy ones.

"I'm so glad I have you," he said softly. "I don't know how I would've gotten through this year without you."

"Me neither," Nic chuckled. "I love you, Cedric."

"I love you too, Nic," Ced replied.

The next morning, Cedric, Nic, and Tyriq were sitting together at the Hufflepuff table when she and Cedric were informed family was to visit them. Cedric rushed through his breakfast, but Nic merely got gloomy. The only family she had was Siri and Harry and she was currently not speaking to Harry and there was no way that Sirius was in there.

"Come on, Nic," Cedric said as Tyriq headed off for his History of Magic exam. "I want you to meet my parents."

"Ugh, fine," she groaned, although she wasn't necessarily unhappy about it. Once inside, Cedric was instantly engulfed in a hug from his father.

As he pulled away, he introduced, "Mum, Dad, this is my girlfriend, Nicole Potter." His parents, Nic was pleased to see, didn't seem to think anything negative about her as his mother gave her a warm hug and she shook hands with his father.

"Well, I'll leave you all to catch up," Nic suggested. "I'll go talk to the Weasley's for a bit."

"Okay, see you later," Cedric replied. Before she left, he kissed her temple and they parted.

"Mrs. Weasley," Nic greeted with a smile. The woman regarded her rather coldly and Bill, Nic noticed, rolled his eyes.

As they left the room, Bill whispered to her, "Don't worry about it. Mum just reads Witch Weekly."

"And she believed that rubbish?" Nic replied irritably.

"For some reason," he replied with a sigh. "Just out of curiosity, how much of it was rubbish?"

"Well, Cedric and I only got together after the first task," Nic explained. "I don't have feelings for Tyriq. The one part she seemed to get right was the bit about his brother, but if you see him don't say anything about it. He hates it when people mention it."

"I figured as much," Bill admitted. "Nightmare, that Skeeter woman."

"Tell me about it," Nic muttered.

They did, at this moment, pass the Diggorys, and Mr. Diggory looked around to Harry and remarked, "There you are, are you? Bet you're not feeling quiet as full of yourself now Cedric's caught you up on points, are you?"

"What?" Harry replied, confused.

"Ignore him," Cedric said lowly to Harry. "He's been angry ever since Rita Skeeter's article about the Triwizard Tournament - you know, when she made out you were the only Hogwarts champion."