21. Defense Against the Dark Arts

The day after their first transformation, Nic and Tyriq were especially chipper and seemed, to the other students, to be much more talkative than they'd been all year. At the end of the day, they had DADA with Professor Lupin. Once they entered the classroom, Lupin said, "Alright so I know all of you were really disappointed when the boggart got out last month and you didn't get to face one, so I've decided to give you all another shot with him.

"Another boggart showed up in that desk." They all looked and saw a small desk that had an enclosed space within it. It was rattling and everyone got rather excited. They had this class with Slytherin, unfortunately, but thankfully none of them had opened their mouths yet. They had previously learned about bogarts, but in an unfortunate turn of events, the boggart had gotten out before they could get a chance with it. The class lined up and soon everyone was facing their fears.

Draco had opted out, standing at the back, making Nic raise her eyebrows, curious. Soon it was Tyriq's turn. Instantly there rose before him a figure that looked almost exactly like him, but instead of the cornrows Tyriq had gotten over the summer, the figure had their hair in an afro.

Facing a rather pale Tyriq, Tyrone asked, "Who are you?"

"T-Tyrone," Tyriq whispered, forgetting about the rest of the class and what they were supposed to be doing. His eyes filled with tears before Nic got in front of him. Instantly the boggart shifted, turning into a dark figure. A cackle echoed through the room before a blinding red flash left the figure's wand. Below the figure was the mangled form of James Potter. Lupin saw it and instantly went paler than death.

The cackling voice cried, "Crucio!" Lupin's eyes widened before he got before her and the boggart changed again. The entire class was staring at her as Lupin forced the boggart back into the desk. Bitting her lip anxiously, Nic turned and ran, tears in her eyes.

"What was that?" Tyriq asked quietly once she was gone, his eyes going to Lupin.

"Mr. Hufflepuff," Lupin said, ignoring his question. "Why don't you go and find Ms. Potter. I will excuse you from the class for today." Nodding, Ty left, running after Nic. The moment he got outside, he changed into a falcon and began looking for her. Finally, he caught sight of her perched in a tree in the Forbidden Forest. Landing next to her, he noticed shinning Phoenix tears dropping down to the forest floor. Not knowing what else to do, Tyriq merely sat with her, waiting until the tears stopped.

Letting out a breath, Nic took off again, chirping, "Please don't follow me." Tyriq nodded, understanding she wanted to be left alone. Once he was back in the castle in human form, he ran into Professor Lupin.

"Did you find her?" he asked, his worn eyes looking worried.

"Yeah," he admitted. "She wanted to be left alone though."

"Where is she?" Lupin asked. Tyriq didn't answer, not wanting to get his friend in trouble. Letting out a sigh, Lupin left the boy alone. Nic wasn't seen in the rest of her classes all day and didn't appear at dinner either. She didn't appear until that night when she slipped into the dorms.