16. Aunt Marge's Big Mistake

When the twins entered the kitchen that morning, none of the others took any notice of them, their eyes fixed on a new report on tv. "The public is warned that Black is armed and extremely dangerous. A special hotline has been set up, and any sightings of Black should be reported immediately."

"No need to tell us he's no good," scoffed Vernon. "Look at the state of him, the filthy layabout! Look at his hair!" He shot a look at Harry and then at Nic, who's ability to change her appearance was a source of much irritation for the Dursleys. The next moment, the broadcaster moved on, going to another bit of news.

"Hang on!" Vernon thundered. "You didn't tell us where that maniac's escaped from! What use is that? Lunatic could we walking up the street right now! When will they learn that hanging's the only way to deal with these people!"

"Very true," Petunia replied, staring out the window as if Black would just walk down the street.

"I'd better be off in a moment," Vernon remarked, sipping his tea. "Marge's train gets in at ten." The reaction was instantaneous.

Nic chocked on her tea, sputtering and coughing harshly as Harry exclaimed, "Aunt Marge? Sh-she's not coming here is she?" Harry and Nicki both hated Marge. She was cruel and merciless to the two of them. Despite thinking that she was Dudley's twin, Nicki had always been treated terribly by Marge. She would constantly mock and bully her for her own amusement. Harry got much of the same.

"Marge'll be here for a week," Vernon sneered, "and while we're on the subject, we need to get a few things straight before I go and collect her. Firstly, you'll keep a civil tongue in your head when you're talking to Marge."

"All right," Harry retorted, "if she does when she's talking to me and Nic."

"Secondly," Vernon hissed, "as Marge doesn't know about either of your...abnormality, I don't want any - any funny stuff while she's here. You behave yourselves, got me?"

"I will if she does," Harry replied dully as Nic began to rub her eyes, knowing she was in for a long, long week.

"And thirdly," Vernon thundered, "we've told Marge you attend St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurable Criminal Boys and you go to the girl's school across the street from that one."

"What?" Harry exclaimed.

"And you'll be sticking to that story, boy, or there'll be trouble." Turning to Nic, Vernon added, "And you'll go back to your normal appearance and stay that way." Rolling her eyes, Nic changed her hair back to black and shifted her eyes to blue. Petunia let out a small scream and Vernon slammed his fist on the table.

"I was merely doing what I was told," Nic muttered irritably.

"Well Petunia," Vernon said, getting to his feet, "I'll be off to the station then. Want to come along, Dudders?"

"No," Dudley replied, turning back to the tv.

"Dudley's got to make himself smart for his auntie," Petunia gushed. "Mummy's bought him a lovely new bow tie."

"See you in a bit then," Vernon replied before heading off. As he left for the hallway, Harry got up and rushed after him. Letting out a huff, Nic changed her hair back to its natural deep red and her eyes the same as James'. Petunia turned from Dudley to snap something at her, but at the sight of her she stopped short. Nic spent most of her time at home messing with her family by changing her hair and eyes and just general appearance as it screwed with them quite a bit and brought a lot of amusement to her, but she had never appeared as she was born.

"I-I thought your hair was black," Petunia remarked stupidly.

"My hair was red when I was born," Nic replied dully before getting to her feet. "Dumbledore told me I look a lot like Lily. That's your dead sister in case you forgot." Her tone came out more bitter and mean than she intended, but she wasn't all that sorry. Back in her room, Nic lay back on her bed, Sonata following her soon after. As Nicki began to run a finger over the silky feathers of her head, she hooted softly and closed her eyes.