37. The First Task

Nicki was holding onto Ced's hand anxiously as they explained the first task to the champions and their companions. "You okay?" Nic whispered, gripping his hand slightly tighter.

"I think I'm going to throw up," he admitted quietly.

"Y-You'll do fine," Nic whispered shakily.

"That much confidence, huh?" Cedric joked, trying to lighten the mood. Nicki almost cried when it was announced that Cedric would be going first. "Nic, you're going to make my hand fall off."

"Sorry," Nic muttered, quickly loosening her grip on his hand. A whistle blew, signaling it was Cedric's turn. He began to walk out, but Nic cried, "Wait! Ced!"

"What?" he asked nervously.

"In case this is the last time I see you," Nic whispered. Quickly she kissed him, ignoring the looks she was being given. Pulling away, she whispered, "Now go. You can do this!" Nodding, he left. The moment he was gone, tears shone in Nic's eyes. Blinking, she began pacing anxiously. Finally, Cedric had gotten past and Nic was allow to go and find him in the med tent. "Cedric!" she shouted, running to his side where he was being tended to by Madam Pomfrey.

"Merlin, I thought, I was so scared!" Nic shouted, wrapping her arms around him tightly.

"Nic, I'm fine," Cedric promised, but she didn't miss the wince that left his lips. Pulling away, she saw a burn on his shoulder and down his arm. "It doesn't hurt much."

"Liar," Nic retorted as he winced again. Madam Pomfrey was applying a lotion of sorts to the burn. It seemed to irritate it a bit as Cedric was clearly still in a bit of pain. After she had left to deal with someone else, Nic said, "Um, Cedric, I wanted to apologize."

"For what?" he asked, confused.

"For what I did, before you went out there," she explained guiltily. "I told you I didn't want a relationship and then I just kissed you."

"Hey," Cedric interrupted, cupping her cheek and forcing her to look at him. "You were afraid I was going to die."

"It was still wrong," she countered.

"Nic," Cedric began. "Stop it. It's fine. In fact, I rather enjoyed it."

"Oh shut up," Nic laughed, gently punching his uninjured shoulder. Cedric smirked, his eyes shining with a light she hadn't seen before. When her laughter had died down, Nic admitted, "Cedric, I think that...as long as it's not like, too serious or anything, I'd be willing to..."

"Nicki, will you be my girlfriend?" Cedric interrupted.

"Only if you'll be my boyfriend," she replied, blushing madly.

"Deal," he replied before he closed the gap between them.
............................................
"Hey, Nic!" Harry called, running towards her as she passed through the halls.

"Yes?" Nicki replied, turning to face him.

"You hear about the Yule Ball?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Nic replied. "Why?"

"So...the champions are supposed to have a partner for the dance and..."

"Harry," Nic interrupted. "I can't be your partner. I'm going with Cedric."

"Oh," Harry replied stiffly. "What's going on between you two anyway?"

"What do you care?" Nic snapped, sensing the tone of his voice.

"Look, he's bad for you."

"Who are you to say that?!" Nic shouted. A group of students had gathered, listening to the sibling brawl. "You have no right to control who I'm around, Harry!"

"It's my job to protect you!" Harry retorted.

"Shut up Harry!" Nic shouted. "You can't just ignore me every school year and then step in to try and control me! I'm sick of men acting like they can tell me what to do and I sure as hell won't let you!" Angrily she stormed past him, knocking her shoulder against his harshly.