67. Apparation and a Reunion

"Today I am teaching you how to apparate," Dumbledore explained as Nic faced him outside. "Now, I want you to focus hard on this spot." He indicated the small circle he had made on the ground. "Imagine yourself there." Nic did so. "Can you imagine it?" Nic nodded, staring intently as she imagined it. "Now pivot." Nic did so. Her aim was off and she ended up five feet away, but she had managed to fully move. After a full afternoon she had it down pat. "Excellent!" Dumbledore cried happily. "You have the rest of the afternoon off." With a slight twinkle in his eye, he added, "I think you may find something special in the common room."

Nic looked at him suspiciously before heading over there. When she stepped inside, she cried, "Ty!"

"Nic," he called, rushing to her. Instantly Nic was enveloped in the arms of the one person she hadn't been able to see in so long.

"I missed you," Nic said, burying her head in the crook of his neck as he lay his head on top of hers.

"I missed you too," he replied, kissing her forehead gently. Pulling away, Nic cupped his cheeks and stared into his eyes. Scanning over his appearance, Nic spotted a few cuts and bruises here and there. She brushed her thumb over one by his jaw.

"What happened?" Nic asked, looking concerned.

"Just training," he replied, seeming unbothered.

"What kind of training?" Nic whispered, looking at each cut and bruise in turn, occasionally brushing her thumb over them gently.

"Voldemort's taken some kind of special interest in me," he admitted quietly. "Thank god Snape taught me occlumency before everything began."

"So he did this?" Nic replied.

"Yeah," Tyriq replied. "But let's not talk about that now. I don't want to think about training." Tucking a strand of Nic's hair behind her ear, he remarked, "You know, because of our previous engagements, I never got to see you on your birthday." Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled out a small jewelry box.

"Ty, you didn't have to," Nic said quietly.

"But I wanted to," Tyriq replied, tilting her chin up to look at him. Her heart fluttering, Nic kissed him gently.

"I love you," Nic muttered against his lips. Tyriq's lips began to move against hers more passionately as his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him. Nic's heart was hammering in her chest as Tyriq slipped his tongue into her mouth. Nic pulled away for air. Clearing her throat with a large smile, Nic asked, "So, um, what'd you get me?"

"Open it and see," Ty replied, handing her the box. Inside was a silver bracelet with a small purple sphere hanging from the end.

"It's beautiful," Nic whispered, pulling it from the box.

"Here," Ty offered, taking it from her and beginning to clasp it around her wrist. Once he'd finished, he said, "There. It's almost as beautiful as you."

"You're such a dork," Nic chuckled, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"You love it," Tyriq countered, pressing their foreheads together.

"Do I?" Nic teased, smiling widely.

"Shut up," Tyriq chuckled, closing the gap between them. Soon the two were curled up on the couch. Nic with her legs strewn over his and her head on his shoulder. Tyriq had his arms around her waist and they sat in a peaceful silence.

"When do you have to leave?" Nic asked quietly, looking up.

"Early tomorrow morning," he replied.

"Well then," Nic replied, tilting his chin so he looked at her. "We better make the best of it." Their lips connected passionately as Tyriq moved forward. Nic lay back on the couch, pulling him closer to her. His lips trailed down to her neck briefly before he returned to her lips. Pulling away, the two lay curled up on the couch. Nic was laying on Ty's chest with his arms wrapped tightly around her. "Do you really have to go?" Nic asked.

"Yeah," he sighed. "I'm sorry, Nic."

"It's okay," she replied, kissing his cheek. "I understand." Tyriq leaned forward to reconnect their lips before he suddenly pulled away, wincing and letting out a small cry of pain. He quickly pulled his sleeve up, revealing the burning mark on his forearm.

Looking up apologetically, he said, "I have to go. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Nic replied with a sigh. Quickly he kissed her and, with a guilty look, left the common room. With a sigh, she lay back and curled up in a blanket, wishing they lived in a different world where there was no Voldemort, no Death Eaters, no Order of the Phoenix.