71. The Slugs

Nic was walking into the Great Hall to have a word with Dumbledore the following night when she was suddenly cornered by a large man in purple robes. "Ah, Ms. Potter, just the witch I was hoping to see," he boomed.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Nic retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Professor Slughorn," he explained. "I'm the new Potions Master."

"Oh," Nic replied, glancing over at Snape at the high table. "What can I do for you, Professor?"

"What do you say to a spot of supper tonight in my rooms instead?" he suggested. "We're having a little party, just a few rising stars. I've got Harry and Ms. Granger coming as well as Mr. Hufflepuff."

"Uh," Nic began, making eye contact with Dumbledore. He nodded slightly and she finished, "Sure." He grabbed hold of her arm and pulled her towards his rooms. Once inside, she took a seat by Hermione. "I thought Harry was going to be here," Nic muttered to her.

"He didn't show," she replied quietly.

"Great," Nic muttered. "This is going to be a nightmare." She only half listened as Slughorn interrogated everyone about their famous relatives and connections.

"So, Ms. Potter," Slughorn began, causing her to look up and actually pay attention. "I'm told you got all Outstandings on your O.W.L.s yet I don't see you in any of the teacher's classes."

"I'm afraid that the rumors of my grades are greatly exaggerated," Nic replied. "And I've been studying abroad. I only come here to lead my Quidditch team."

"And how do you manage to get back and forth?" he inquired.

"I have my ways," Nic replied mysteriously, not liking where this conversation was going.

"And do you find it hard to be away from your brother?" Slughorn inquired.

"We make it work," Nic replied stiffly.

With a small smile, he asked, "And has any particular boy caught your interest?" Tyriq stiffened, staring hard into his food.

"Uh, no," Nic lied, not daring to look in Ty's direction.

"Oh come now, pretty girl like you, I'm sure there's someone," he countered.

"Professor Slughorn, did you say you knew..." Hermione began, saving Nic from what she could tell what was making her uncomfortable. She had no idea about the two, but she saved her non the less. When at last they were let out, Nic went back to the house where she found Tyriq waiting.

"Hey," Nic sighed, setting aside her jacket. "Sorry about the dinner thing."

"It's okay," he replied. "I just missed you." With a smile, Nic pressed her lips to his. Smirking into the kiss, Tyriq pressed her into the wall, one hand on her waist and the other on her cheek. Nic hummed against his lips as he pulled her closer to him.

Pulling away, Nic whispered, "I missed you."

"I missed you too," he replied, laying his forehead against hers. "It's hard to pretend we're not together."

"I know," Nic replied, wrapping her arms around him and laying her head on his shoulder. His arms wrapped around her waist tightly as he stared out the window.

"I want to show you something," he said.

"What is it?" Nic replied.

With a small chuckle, he replied, "That wouldn't make it a surprise now would it? Come on." He changed form and flew out the window. Nic followed behind and found him perching on the tallest goalpost on the Quidditch field looking over the forest. Stars dotted the sky above it in the clear night. Nic looked up to the moon and let out a soft, trilling note. The song of a Phoenix filled the pitch and the eerily beautiful sound caused the falcon beside her to look over. When the sound stopped, she lovingly nipped the equivalent of his cheek and flew off into the night towards the house.