58. An Attack

The last day of the term, Nic and Tyriq had to do rounds before bed, which was really just checking over the castle to see if anyone was still hanging around who shouldn't be. When they had covered the top floors, they reached the floor their common room was on. It was dark in the castle and they had to light their wands to be able to see. "Ms. Potter! Mr. Hufflepuff!" a loud voice cried suddenly. Nic wheeled around in shock before spotting Dumbledore. "My office, now!" Sharing a look, they rushed after him.

Inside his office, they found Harry, Ron, Fred, George, and Ginny. "What's this about, Professor?" Tyriq asked. The others all looked very confused as to why he was there.

"Mr. Hufflepuff, we need you to do the thing we talked about," Dumbledore replied.

"Ty, what is he talking about?" Nic asked quietly.

"Doesn't matter," he lied.

"What is he doing here?" Ron snapped, glaring at Tyriq. "What does he have to do with any of this? He's a snake like the rest of Malfoy and his gang!"

"Mr. Weasley, Mr. Hufflepuff is here at my invitation," Dumbledore revealed. "Now, Tyriq, I should like you to go back to your home. Tell your parents what we talked about."

"His parents, but-" Nic began desperately.

"Ms. Potter," Dumbledore interrupted calmly. "He is aware of the danger and has accepted it."

"Tyriq," Nic said, turning to face him.

"This is what I have to do," he replied, grabbing hold of her hands.

"No, you don't," Nic countered.

"Nic-"

Her voice rising to a yell, she screamed, "I ALREADY LOST CEDRIC, I WON'T LOSE YOU!"

With a sigh, Tyriq asked, "Professor, can I speak with Nic alone outside your office?"

"Just, try not to yell," Dumbledore replied airily. "I can handle them while you do so." Tyriq grabbed hold of her wrist and pulled her into the spiral staircase.

"Tyriq," Nic whimpered. "You can't join them, please."

"Nic, what else can I do?" Ty countered. "I have to do something. I have been put in a position where I can really do something. You have to let me."

"No, I don't," Nic countered, her eyes shining with tears. "Ty, please."

He looked at her a moment before he whispered, "I'll be safe, I promise." Kissing her forehead, he grabbed hold of her hands.

"Then I'm joining you," Nic stated.

"No," Tyriq protested firmly. "They wouldn't let you anyway. Bellatrix? She wants to torture you into insanity. I need to know that you're safe."

"And I need to know that you're safe," Nic retorted. "Ty...you're more to me than just a friend. You're not even just my best friend. I-I love you."

"I love you too," Ty admitted. "I always have, since that Christmas third year."

"Ah, and then I dated Cedric," Nic groaned. "That had to have been hard on you."

"Yeah, but...I knew I had no reason to be jealous," Tyriq replied. "We weren't dating so there was no reason to get mad and start a fight over nothing."

Nic, who was smiling widely with a heated blush, suddenly focused and said, "We need to focus. Look, if you feel you have to do this then...I guess I can support you on it, but Ty."

"Hm," he hummed.

"If something happens to you, if you're in any danger, you pull out, okay?" Nic begged tearfully. "Dumbledore could protect you if you did. Please, promise me."