75. Hurt

Nic woke with a groan and felt something warm holding her hand. Her eyes fluttered open and she saw that Tyriq was right next to her, holding her hand. "What happened?" she whispered, causing Tyriq to look up.

"McLaggen hit Harry in the head with a beater's bat," Ty explained, gripping her hand tightly. "You dove after him and while he fell, he..."

"He fell on me," Nic filled in.

"Yeah," Tyriq said. "You broke one of your legs and a rib or two...concussion...and a broken wrist."

"You shouldn't be here," Nic said, keeping her eyes closed. "People aren't supposed to know."

With a small laugh, Ty countered, "We're at the house. Dumbledore had you moved here."

"Oh," Nic chuckled before quickly stopping as it caused her head to hurt. "How long have I been out?"

"About three hours," he replied, glancing at his watch. "Madam Pomfrey fixed you up and said you needed bed rest for at least a full twenty-four hours, so Dumbledore has your training on hold for now."

"Is the rest of the team okay?" Nic asked.

"They're fine," Tyriq replied. "You guys won. Three-hundred and twenty to sixty." Nic smiled.

"Remind me to rub it in Harry's face that I beat him," Nic chuckled.

"He wouldn't take that well," Tyriq said with a smile.

"I know," Nic replied, attempting to sit up, but instantly her head pounded and Tyriq protested, "No, no, lay back. You got a bad concussion. That reminds me, you need to take this now that you're awake." He handed her a small cup of a strange liquid. With a grimace, she swallowed it and lay back on the bed. After a bit of talking, Nic said, "I'm going to get some sleep. Are you going to be okay?"

"Nic, I'm not the one who has a concussion," Tyriq chuckled. "I'm fine." Quickly he kissed her cheek and added, "Now get some sleep. Do you want me to grab some of your potion?"

"Sure," Nic replied. "Thanks." Once she had taken it, she fell fast asleep. Quietly Tyriq shut the door behind him and turned only to be faced with Dumbledore.

"How is she?" he asked.

"She's good," he replied. "She just went to sleep. She's a bit smug."

"Ah, sibling rivalry," Dumbledore chuckled. After a pause, he asked, "Have you managed to get Mr. Malfoy to include you in his plans?"

"Yes," he admitted. "He's focusing now on just fixing the cabinet. I know how, but I'm doing what I can to stall him until you figure out what you need to with Harry."

"Good," he replied with a nod. "Well, I shall leave you with Ms. Potter. Good night, Mr. Hufflepuff."

"Good night Professor," Tyriq replied. Soon he left and Tyriq went to his dorm to sleep. Three days later Nic was back to normal training. Soon March melded into April and finally into May. One afternoon found Nic training with Moody. She had changed into leggings and a tank top and had her wand raised. They fought furiously back and forth until Nic finally managed to disarm him.

"I did it," Nic gasped in shock. "I-" Before she could go on, Moody drew another wand form his robes and shot a spell at her. She was flung back into the wall and fell to the floor. "Seriously?" Nic groaned, getting to her feet.

"Always expect the unexpected," he growled. "You're free for the day." Nic got up and decided to check on Harry. She walked along the castle to find him until she saw him dash into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Furrowing her eyebrows, she stepped inside.

"No one can help me," Draco whimpered as Nic slipped inside. "I can't do it...I can't...It won't work...and unless I do it soon...he says he'll kill me..." Nic's heart went out to him as she saw the tears in his eyes. He was crying. His tough, unbothered exterior had broken down and he was crying. Draco drew in a sharp breath as he tried to get control of himself before he looked up into the mirror, spotting Harry. Nic had hidden behind a corner and he didn't spot her. Draco wheeled around with his wand pointed at Harry.

Harry also drew his wand and Nic got hers out as well. Harry sent a spell at him, but Draco deflected it. "No, no, stop it!" Moaning Myrtle cried.

"Cruci-" Malfoy began as Nic came into sight, screaming, "Stop this!"

But Harry cried, "SECTUMSEMPRA!" Nic's mind flashed back to third year when Snape had used the same curse on her.

"NO!" she screamed, trying to run forward. Malfoy stumbled backward with blood flowing from his face and chest. "HARRY WHAT DID YOU DO!" Nic crouched down by Malfoy and began trying to stop the bleeding. "YOU IDIOT!" The door banged open behind them and Nic couldn't listen as she tried desperately to save Draco's life.

"Nicole," Snape's voice said quietly. "I'll handle it."

"No, no, I need to save him," Nic muttered, still doing the incantation. "The blood, too much blood."

"Nicole, I've got it," he said and she finally backed up. Her clothes and skin was covered in Draco's blood and some was even in her hair.

Snape helped Draco up as Nic insisted, "I'm going with you."

She wrapped Draco's arm around her shoulders and began to help Snape carry him to the hospital wing as he remarked, "You should be grateful, Draco, Ms. Potter has just saved your life."

As they went along, Nic said, "That was the same curse, wasn't it? The one you used on me third year?"

"Yes," he admitted.

"It looked so much worse this way," Nic muttered. Several people in the halls stopped and pointed at the three of them, particularly Nic and Draco as they were drenched in blood. Once Draco was set up in the hospital wing, Nic began pacing there. Snape had left soon after to deal with Harry and Nic was left alone with Draco and Madam Pomfrey. Soon she finished with him and returned to her office.

"Why?" Draco asked hoarsely, looking at her with an analytical eye. Nic looked up, not having knowing he was awake.

"What?" Nic replied, taking a step towards him.

"We don't know each other. I've bullied your brother for years...we've never even had a conversation before now," Draco explained. "Why would you risk your life by running forward into a curse that you knew might kill you."

"I've been hit with that curse before," Nic explained. Moving aside her long hair, she gestured to the deep scars along her neck, chest, and a bit on her arms and added, "This is what I got out of it."

"But why would you save me?" Draco clarified.

"Draco, you may be a jerk, but you don't deserve to die," Nic replied, crossing her arms. "Why, do you think you do?"

"I don't know anymore," he said quietly.

"Draco," Nic said, sitting on the bed next to him. "No matter what you've done, no matter what you're in the process of doing...you are still a sixteen year old boy. You have time to change, to be better. No one can't be saved."

"You sound like Dumbledore," Draco scoffed weakly, but Nic thought she saw a flicker of hope in his eyes.

"He's a wise man," Nic replied quietly. Draco still looked at her with distrust and suspicion before Nic laughed, "Draco, is it really so hard for you believe that I helped you because I wanted to? Because you're a person who needed help? Is that really so hard for you to believe?" He didn't answer, but looked at her cautiously. With a sigh, Nic got up and said, "Bye, Draco. I hope you're on your feet soon."

As she reached the door, Draco asked, "Would it be strange if I couldn't?"

Turning to face him, Nic said, "No. It just means that...you don't trust people...and that's okay. Honestly...I don't either. Bye Draco." He nodded and Nic headed to the house.