68. Training for a War

With the first day of term rapidly approaching, Nic was training harder than ever. Her skin had tanned to a dark golden bronze and her hair, which was now a deep purple, hung at her waist in waves. Her eyes were steel and sharp as they scanned the Quidditch field. She was flying around the grounds when she saw a figure appear at the entrance to the grounds. Landing, she called, "Lost?"

"It's been a while, Nic," Dumbledore replied, taking a step towards her with a warm smile. "You look different."

"Perks of being a metamorphous," Nic chuckled. "What's up?"

"Just checking in on you," he replied, looking more worn than last time she'd seen him.

"I'm good," Nic replied. "Now what's your real reason for being here?"

With a small smile, he replied, "I'm afraid Harry is rather upset with us."

With a sigh, Nic guessed, "Because I'm gone all the time."

"Yes," he agreed.

"I'm going to try and spend more time with him this year," Nic replied. "I know it's been hard on him." He nodded and soon Nic was back in the sky. She pulled her broom to a stop and stared out at the sunset. Soon it disappeared and was replaced by stars. Nic had been staring for at least an hour when she began to feel chilly and returned to her dorm.
....................................................
Soon school began and Nic was back in the house with training still going on. She was still in the middle of a sparing match with Romulus when Tyriq appeared at the door. Nic was knocked to the floor and let out a groan. Smirking, Tyriq joked, "You having fun?"

"Shut up," she grumbled, taking the hand he offered to her. Once she was up, she asked, "What's up?"

"I'm told that all my reports need to go through you as well now," he explained.

"Okay," Nic replied, taking on a more professional tone. "These reports need to come three times a week. Sometime between ten and eleven p.m. That way it's outside my training hours."

"Okay," he agreed. "I'll come back in a few hours."

"Good," Nic replied. "I'll see you then." When he had gone, Nic went back to sparing. "So, why is this so important again?" Nic panted, barely blocking another punch.

"You never know when something like this may come in useful," he replied, knocking her to the ground again.

"Great," Nic groaned, getting back up. A few hours later, she sat in bed nursing the scars on her knuckles from where the skin had been torn back and a sprained wrist. A falcon fluttered into the window, causing her to glance up. Her expression broke into a smile when he changed back as sat down next to her.

With a knowing smile, Tyriq took the ointment she was using and began to help her as he explained, "Voldemort wants to get a group of Death Eaters into Hogwarts. He asked Malfoy and me to fix a vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement. There's another one in a shop in Knockturn Alley. That's how he wants to get the Death Eaters in." Setting aside the ointment, he grabbed a wrap made of fabric and began to wrap her wrist snugly.

"What does he want them to do?" Nic asked.

Pausing in his wrapping, Tyriq sighed, "They want to kill Dumbledore...and they want Malfoy to do it. To...atone for his father's mistakes. And..." Tyriq paused, swallowing hard and refusing to make eye contact.

"What?" Nic asked quietly.

Finally looking up, Ty admitted, "If Draco fails, I have to kill him."

"Ty," Nic whispered shakily. Tyriq finished wrapping her wrist and they sat in silence. After a pause, Nic said, "Ty, why don't you stay the night. You can go back in the morning. You're in no state to be alone right now."

"Okay," he agreed. Nic moved over and held up the covers for him. Kicking off his shoes, he crawled in next to her. Nic curled up with her head on his chest and turned out the lights. "Nic, would you be able to look me in the eye if I had to kill him?" Ty whispered.

"I don't know," Nic replied honestly. "Would you be able to face yourself?"

"No," he whispered, his voice breaking. "Nic, I can't do it. I can't, I can't." He had broken down into a sob and Nic sat up and wrapped her arms around him. He cried bitterly and buried his head in her shoulder.

"Everything will be okay," Nic whispered comfortingly, rubbing his back to help him calm down. "Everything will be okay."