15. Owl Post

It was late into the night when Nic was sitting at her window, staring into the night. Sonata was swooping around the night, hooting and calling before flying off out of sight. As she stared out the window, an owl swooped towards the house and flew into Harry's room next to hers. Smiling slightly, knowing he was awake, Nic slipped out of her room and down the hall to his. She didn't bother knocking and merely slipped in silently.

"Happy birthday," Harry said, causing Nic to glance at the clock. It was, in fact, one a.m. on July 31st, the day of the twin's birth.

"You too," she replied, smiling slightly before sitting down beside the owls on Harry's bed. Errol, the Weasley owl, was relieved of his burden first before getting some water from Hedwig's cage. The next owl was Hedwig herself. The last two were ones Harry didn't recognize, but Nic did, at least the last one. It was from her good friend Tyriq. A smile lit up her expression as she untied the present and found he had sent her a necklace and a book.

The necklace was a gold locket with the figure of a phoenix and a falcon etched in the metal. Inside were two pictures. One was of Tyriq, Hermione, Cedric, and Nic from second year and the other was one of Harry and Nic. Harry looked up from his present from Ron to see the warm smile on her face. "What'd you get?" he asked quietly so as not to wake their aunt, uncle, and cousin. When she had shown him, Harry smiled, glad his sister had such a good friend. Once she had slipped on the necklace, Nic turned to the package Harry had handed her from Hermione.

It was identical to Harry's present, a broom tending kit. It had everything she would need to maintain her broom. Smiling happily, Nic set it aside and got back to the book from Tyriq. Opening the cover, she saw it was actually from his twin, Tyrone. Tyrone and Nic were friends, but he was the quieter of the two and was friends with some of the more reserved Hufflepuff and a few Ravenclaws. The book was about complex charms with detailed instructions on how to use them. Making a mental note to thank him, Nic added it to the broom care kit.

Once she had gotten her Hogwarts letter, Nic left the room, bidding Harry goodnight. While he did go to bed soon after, she stayed up much later, continuing to work on a little project of hers. It was hard when she was unable to do any magic, but she was beginning to work through and make sense of her mother's notebook. She had not yet shown it to Harry, for, for some reason, she felt...she almost felt like she needed to keep it to herself. It was odd, but the feeling wouldn't go away.

She stayed up late into the night before glancing up. It was now five in the morning. With a sigh, she set aside her things and crawled in bed. Almost instantly, she was fast asleep.