11. The Miror of Erised

Nicki had always had problems with anxiety, even when there was nothing to worry about. While she had gotten quite good at handling it during the day, her unconscious mind played tricks on her. Even when she was able to get to sleep, she had nightmares. Terrible ones that caused her to wake up in fright. Tonight was one such night. Gasping for breath, Nic got her bearings and began to calm down before heading down to the common room.

It was empty at this hour and lit only by the roaring fire in the fire place. December had hit a couple of weeks ago so that now she could see snow out the window. Shaking it off, she simply got ready to head to classes later on.
............................
"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Draco sneered as Nic was trying to pass in the hallway. On the other side, she could see Harry, Ron, and Hermione. To Ron he added, "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what you're family's used to."

Ron lunged forward before Nic jumped between them, facing Ron. "Ron stop," she shouted. "He's not worth it. He's just trying to get under your skin."

"What would you know, Potter," Malfoy sneered as she turned to face him, rolling her eyes. "You have to be raised right to know how to behave and well, considering your good-for-nothing parents..." He didn't get a word before before Harry lunged forward.

"Potter!" Snape snapped, appearing seemingly out of no where.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid's broke in, standing from the tree he was moving. "Malfoy was insulting his parents."

"Well, your father was always..."

"Professor," Nic protested, trying her hardest to hide how hurt she was. "It doesn't matter if they irritated you or you hate them. You can't just insult people's families." Although his expression didn't change, Snape stormed away without another word.

"How did you-" Harry began, turning to his sister.

"I told you, Snape loves me," she replied, glaring at the retreating backs of Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"You're staying for the holidays, right?" Harry asked, changing the subject.

"Of course," she replied, smiling slightly. "I couldn't deal with the Dursleys all break." Checking the time, she remarked, "Oh, I forgot, I'm meant to meet Tyriq in the common room to finish up some work before break starts. I'll catch you later."

"Bye," Harry called as she wandered off. Turing to Hermione and Ron, he remarked, "I thought she was mental when she said Snape favored her."

"Oh he defiantly does," Ron groaned. "You, who he hates, just got off for trying to fight Malfoy, one of his favorites. It seems he favors her more than Malfoy even."

"Yeah," Harry sighed before they headed off again.
.......................................
Christmas morning dawned bright and cold and Nic woke to an empty dorm room. As a matter of fact, she had the entire common room to herself as well, for all the other Hufflepuffs had gone home for the holidays. At the end of her bed there was a small stack of presents. In the first was a book from Hermione about complicated curses and counter curses - a recent interest of hers - and a box of chocolates frogs from Harry.

She had a small letter from the Dursley's, which she trashed right after she read it, and one final gift. When she opened the package, a small piece of paper fell out. In small, neat handwriting, it said...

Your mother gave this to me for safe keeping just before she died. I thought you might appreciate it.

Inside was a small notebook. Opening it up, Nic found an inscription inside.