66. Summer Break

Nic had spent three glorious weeks at Hogwarts. She spent much of the time learning every nook and cranny of the school. Moody had begun setting up courses for her within the school. He set up spells and creatures she had to get through. One of these spells she hadn't noticed in time and wound up with a nasty burn on her shoulder. She also spent a lot of time outside in the sun. She went flying every morning and afternoon on her firebolt and often ate out there in good weather.

It was far from all fun and games, however. If Nic had thought her training during fifth year was hard, she had no idea what was coming. She was trained in practically everything. She learned more in those three weeks than she had in her first four years of Hogwarts. She was awakened at five every morning and wasn't allowed to sleep until ten or eleven very night. Nic was woken one morning very early by a house elf. "Hello," she greeted kindly, rubbing her eyes. "Is it time all ready?"

"No, miss," the house elf squeaked. "Professor Dumbledore wishes to see you, miss. Sorry to wake you up, but-"

"It's all right," Nic assured. "Would you mind telling him I'll be right down?"

"Of course, miss," she replied before disappearing with a crack. Letting out a small groan, Nic got up and dressed. She changed into white pants, some black boots, and a black tank top. Because it was still early and cold, she also pulled on a grey sweater. Her hair was a dark purple now and she quickly tied this in a low bun.

"Hey, sorry, I got down as quick as I could," Nic said, running into the common room where Dumbledore was waiting.

"I thought you should like to know that your brother has been brought to the Weasley's," he explained. "Also, I have your O.W.L. results." Nic grabbed the paper and looked over her results.

Charms: O
Defense Against the Dark Arts: O
Herbology: O
Potions: O
Transfiguration: O
Astronomy: P
Ancient Runes: P
History of Magic: P

"You're on a good track to be an auror," Dumbledore praised.

"I couldn't have done it without all that extra stuff I've been doing," Nic admitted with a small laugh. "Thank you, sir. Now, about Harry...is he safe? Does he seem okay?"

With a small smile, Dumbledore said, "I'm giving you a day off to go and see him at the burrow."

"Thank you!" Nic exclaimed, giving him a quick hug.

With a small chuckle, Dumbledore admitted, "Sometimes I forget how young you are, Nic. You truly are very capable for your age."

"Thank you," Nic replied. "How am I getting there?"

"Nicole, I'm giving you something that I think you will find very useful. If you wear this, it will allow you to transport in and out of Hogwarts."

"But, I'm too young to apparate," Nic countered, taking the long chain. At the end of it was a silver pendent.

"I'm going to teach you soon," Dumbledore explained. "For the time being, I will take you by side-along apparition."

"Okay," Nic replied, grabbing onto his extended arm. Once they arrived, Dumbledore waved and disappeared again. With a smile, Nic knocked on the door.

"Who's there?" Mrs. Weasley called. The happy laughter she had heard a few moments before faded.

"Voldemort," Nic joked, referring to the plan she had made with the Weasley's if she ever showed up.

"Nicki!" Molly cried, opening the door and embracing her. "You've gotten so tan! What have you been doing all summer?"

"I've kept busy," Nic replied, pulling away. "Harry!"

"Hey, Nic," he replied, hugging her back tightly. Once she had greeted everyone, Harry asked, "Where have you been?"

"Classified," Nic chuckled, only half-joking.

They spent the morning talking and laughing before Mrs. Weasley asked, "Nic, are you going to celebrate your sixteenth birthday here?"

"Oh, I haven't even thought about it," Nic admitted. "I've been kept busy, but I can talk to Dumbledore about it." Nic had spent her birthday at the Burrow and then returned to Hogwarts. She was sparing with Romulus outside when Dumbledore stepped out of the castle. Romulus flipped her over his shoulder just as Dumbledore approached.

"You're improving," Dumbledore said.

"Tell him that," Nic groaned, taking the hand Romulus offered her. "What's up Dumbledore?"

"Thought you'd like your letter," he explained. Nic took the parchment and scanned over what she'd need. Another thing came with it.

"Professor, is it really smart to make me Quidditch captain?" Nic asked, glancing up curiously.

"It is the best way for you to keep an eye on Tyriq," Dumbledore explained. "Besides, I thought you'd enjoy it."

"Thank you," Nic replied, smiling. "So how many of these books do I need to get?"

"All the books you need are in the house's library," Dumbledore explained. "But as we no longer have the looming eye of Professor Umbridge, you may return to eating in the Great Hall and even sleeping in your dorm, should you wish."

"I'll sleep in the house," Nic decided.

Spotting Romulus' bored look, Dumbledore said, "Well, I believe I'm keeping you from your training. Good day."