69. Quidditch Tryouts

Nic woke the following morning to find a long list at the breakfast table. "Quidditch tryouts," Dumbledore explained at her curious look. "Professor Sprout needs a date to announce to your house."

"Right," Nic replied, looking it over. "Tyriq's not on this." She looked up. "He loves Quidditch."

"I advised him not to this year," Dumbledore explained. "What with his other...commitments."

"I thought this was how I was supposed to keep an eye on him," Nic retorted. With a sigh, Nic added, "Sorry, I'm just worried about him." After a pause, she asked, "Sir, why did you tell Tyriq to give his reports to me as well now?"

"Because I would like you brought into the loop," he explained. "I may not always be here so..."

"You're training me to replace you," Nic breathed in shock. "That's why the reports are going through me. That's why you've been putting me through all this all this time. You knew that this was going to happen. But you can stop this, now that you know-"

"Nic," Dumbledore interrupted. "I'm dying. I touched a cursed ring. Professor Snape has managed to contain it, but I won't make it much longer."

"Professor-" Nic began before he raised his hand, silencing her.

"When I'm gone, I need you to take over for me," he explained. "Tyriq and Severus will run their reports through you as well as me from now on. Throughout the year I'm going to be bringing you into every part of the Order."

"But why me?" Nic asked shakily. "Why not one of the other members? I'm sixteen!"

"Yes, you are," Dumbledore replied. "I fear that it is possible the others cannot be trusted with everything, but you...you have no reason to turn to his side."

"B-But what if-"

"You can handle it," he interrupted with a smile.

"Why is this happening to us?" Nic whispered.

"Us?" Dumbledore repeated.

"Tyriq and me," Nic clarified. "Did he tell you that Voldemort told him that if Malfoy doesn't kill you, Tyriq has to? And now...I have to be you? I-I-"

"Nic," Dumbledore interrupted. "Tyriq will not be the one to kill me. I have someone else in place to do the final act. Tyriq won't have to kill anyone."

"I-I need to clear my head," Nic whispered before grabbing her broom and running out of the room. After lapping the Quidditch field a few times, Nic flew around the grounds over and over until she landed back at the house. Inside, she found that Dumbledore was still there, sitting at the table and waiting for her. "September fifth," she said, walking past him.

"What?" he replied, confused.

"Quidditch tryouts," Nic explained. "You can tell Professor Sprout September fifth."

"Nicole," Dumbledore said.

"Please," Nic replied. "I need a day to think. This is a lot to wrap my head around."

"I understand," Dumbledore sighed. "I shall see you tomorrow." Nic nodded and entered her room to find a falcon perched on the open window sill.

"Hey Tyriq," Nic sighed, setting her broom in the closet. A small smile graced her lips as she left a pair of familiar arms snake around her waist.

Kissing her cheek, he asked, "You okay? You seem stressed."

"Dumbledore just told me that he wants me to...to basically take his place once he dies," Nic explained, turning to face him.

"So that's why he changed the system of the reports," Tyriq said. "So let me guess, it's freaking you out a little bit."

"Yeah," Nic sighed.

"Hey," Ty said, tilting her chin so she was looking at him. "You are the strongest person I know. If anyone could handle this, it's you."

"But what if I can't?" Nic replied, her eyes glossing over with tears. "What if someone dies because of me?"

"Shh," Tyriq interrupted, hugging her tightly. "Don't worry about that now. If Dumbledore thinks you can do this, than I know you can too."

"As charming as this moment may be," Snape interrupted, standing at the door, "I was informed you needed to be given my report, Potter." Pulling away from Tyriq, she faced him. Once he informed her about his Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy and his progress with trying to work with Malfoy, Snape left, leaving them alone again.