72. Curses

"You asked to see me, Professor?" Nic said, stepping into McGonagall's office and glancing curiously from her to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Ms. Potter," she replied. "I was informed you knew something of cursed objects? Professor Snape is currently occupied." Nodding, Nic stepped forward and spotted the necklace.

"So what's the story?" Nic asked, using her wand to levitate the jewelry. Once she had been told about Katie Bell, she said, "I think she's lucky to be alive." She had gone quite pale and lay the necklace back on the wrappings it had come in. "I would suggest you bring this to Professor Snape as soon as possible before this winds up in the hands of someone else. Whoever this was intended for...they are lucky to be alive. This was an assassination attempt. Who was this meant for?"

"Professor Dumbledore," she explained. Nic paled before looking up at her in shock. After a moment's shocked pause, Nic stated firmly, "I need to go."

"Nic-" Harry began, but she was already out the door.

"Professor!" Nic called, storming up the spiral staircase. He was no where to be found. Instead she found Snape standing in the center. "Draco tried to kill Dumbledore."

"I'm aware," he replied.

"You were supposed to report back to me anything you learned," Nic snapped. "Wasn't that the point?!"

"I only pieced it together when it had already occurred," he replied emotionlessly.

"Merlin, I thought Draco was trying to fix the Vanishing Cabinet," Nic said. "Not pathetic attempts."

"He is running into some trouble," Snape replied. "And refusing the help of either myself or Hufflepuff."

"That's going to make this harder," Nic sighed irritably. After a pause, she asked, "Is it true?"

"Is what true?" he replied.

"That Dumbledore told you to kill him if Malfoy can't?" Nic clarified.

"Actually, he told me that I have to be the one to kill him," Snape said. "Neither of those boys will become murderers."

"Good," Nic replied. "Where is he anyway?"

"On a journey," he replied vaguely. "Nothing for you to worry about." Crossing her arms, Nic sighed.

"So, do you have anything to report since we're both here?" Nic inquired.

"Nothing new," he replied. Nic nodded and left the office.

Christmas was approaching with an avalanche of snow and training and reports along with it. Nic knew Voldemort would not wait long to try and have Dumbledore killed so she changed the reports to every time there was something new. This led to several reports from Tyriq and only a few from Snape as he was admittedly at a worse position for that particular issue. The mind attacks by Snape still went on. Her resistance began to grew longer and longer, but she could still only last five hours and they both knew Voldemort would spent more time than that and probably implement torture.

Nic had just gotten up for the day when she found Harry in the kitchen. "Hey Harry," Nic greeted with a tired smile, making her way over to the coffee machine. "What's up?"

"Are you, uh, coming to the Burrow with us for Christmas?" he asked.

With a sigh, Nic replied, "Harry, you know I can't."

"But why?" Harry retorted. "Can't you just take a few days off? What is so important that you're doing here that you can't take just a few days off?"

"Harry," Nic sighed, turning back to face him with her cup of coffee. "There are parts of this you don't understand and you can't. All you need to know is that what I'm doing here is all to make sure that you and all the other members of the Order are safe and that Voldemort doesn't win. I'll come by for Christmas, I promise, but the rest of break I need to be here." Harry scoffed and turned to leave. "Harry," Nic called. Clenching his jaw he turned to face her.

"What?" he snapped.

"Why can't you understand that I'm trying to protect you?" Nic retorted. "Everything I'm doing is to protect you and end Voldemort. That is all I care about!"

"Really?" he scoffed. "How about the fact that your best friend is a Death Eater?"

"What are you talking about?" Nic snapped.

"Tyriq, he's a Death Eater!" Harry shouted. "I saw the mark!"

Nic sighed, replying, "Harry, there's a lot that you just don't understand."

"Right," he scoffed before storming out of the house. Nic sighed, leaning back against the counter.

"Everything okay?" a voice behind her asked, wrapping his arms around her.

"It's just hard," Nic replied, turning to face Tyriq. "To have to hide so much from him."

"I know," he sighed, kissing her forehead. "I know. One day, he'll understand everything."

"Let's hope so," Nic replied, wrapping her arms around him.