65. Again

Nic was taken with the others to the hospital wing at Hogwarts soon after the battle. She had a deep cut across her eyebrow and forehead and there was a heavy mental effect from the curse used on her and, of course, the death of the only father figure she had. It all seemed to have come to a repeat of last year. The loss, the pain, the lack of sleep, the anxiety. Nic was curled up on one of the beds while Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville talked close by her.

They all fell silent as a figure appeared at the doorway. Nic looked up and spotted Tyriq. "What are you doing here?" Harry spat, glaring daggers at him.

"Harry," Nic sighed. "It's fine." She got up and walked over to him. The two left the room and began walking over the grounds.

"You okay?" Ty asked, eyeing the only partially healed cut. It was still rather red and wouldn't go away as it was done by magic.

"Oh you know," Nic sighed. "My godfather was killed right in front of me, the woman that killed my father tortured me...all in all I've had worse years."

"Nic," Tyriq sighed, grabbing hold of her hand and turning to face her as they were outside the castle and no one could see them.

"I should've gotten more time with him," Nic said. Her eyes were devoid of tears. She couldn't cry. She couldn't sob. She could only miss him.

"It's not fair," Tyriq agreed quietly. "I'm sorry. Maybe if I had been there-"

"And blow your cover?" Nic countered. "No, Ty. What you're doing is important. You can't punish yourself for doing good."

"I don't like going around and not being able to act like we're together," Tyriq said, going off topic.

Glancing around, Nic said, "Well no one can see us right now." Tyriq smiled, pressing his lips to hers. Nic smiled happily as Tyriq pulled away. His eyes were light with happiness. Nic moves her hands to the back of his neck and pulled him back to her.

"I don't want to ruin this," Tyriq said quietly, "but there's something you need to know."

"What?" Nic asked.

"My parents...they're training me for Voldemort this summer," he explained. "That means I may not be able to visit this summer."

"It's okay," Nic replied. "I think I have training this summer too."

With a small laugh, Tyriq said, "Looks like we'll both be busy."

"Yeah," Nic replied, brining him in for another kiss. With a sigh, she admitted, "I have to go. I need to sort out some stuff with Dumbledore."

"Okay," he sighed, gently kissing her forehead. "I'll see you later."

"You too," Nic replied before changing into her phoenix form. As she flew towards Dumbledore's office, she spotted her own reflection in the mirror. Along the bird's face was a long scar exactly where her own was. It was hard to see with the feathers, but you could still tell not all was well there. Lighting, she turned back and saw Dumbledore smiling at her.

"Hello Nicole," he greeted. They had not seen each other since that night in the ministry and it seemed...odd almost. "How are you?"

"Well...I'm not falling apart or anything," Nic replied. "I think dealing with everything with Cedric made this..."

"Easier to cope with," Dumbledore filled in.

"Right," Nic replied quietly. "I just think...there's so much going on right now...I'm so worried about...everyone."

"In particular, Mr. Hufflepuff," Dumbledore added with a knowing smile. "You make quite the pair."

"So I assume I'm not going back to Privet Drive?" Nic assumed, ignoring the warm smile she had.

"No," he agreed. "You must resume your training."

"Dumbledore," Nic began quietly. "What do you want me to do during sixth year?"

"You shall continue training," he replied simply.

"For how long?" Nic asked.

"Well, until you're needed elsewhere," he replied. Sitting forward, he explained, "Nic, I can see you being extremely helpful during this war in two main ways. First to keep tabs on our spies within the Death Eaters."

"Tyriq and Snape," Nic agreed with a nod.

"And to protect your brother," Dumbledore finished.

"I can do that," Nic agreed. "So where am I doing my training this summer?"

"Right here in Hogwarts," Dumbledore replied. "There will be no school for you to have to deal with and it is the only place in the world you will be free from the trace. You can stay in the Hufflepuff dorms and the house elves will remain here and can keep you fed. The entire library is at your disposal. Romulus will come here three times a week. Alastor Moody, Minerva McGonagall, Severus Snape, and myself will all come to help you. You shall also have the entire Quidditch field at your disposal, should you wish to do some flying."

"Dumbledore, are you sure this is smart?" Nic asked, although the thought sounded brilliant.

"I trust you won't burn the place down," Dumbledore replied with a small smile.

"Thank you, sir," Nic replied. This summer was certainly looking up.