70. It's All a Matter of the Mind

Nic and Harry were at each other's throats trying to get the Quidditch field for practices. Nic had found a fine team filled with some raw talent. "All right, team!" Nic called as the team landed around her. "We're doing something different today. If you want to be on this team, it's going to take effort. For years Slytherin and Gryffindor have taken the cup from us and I want to change that this year, no matter what Harry has to say about it. So, this is our new training schedule.

"You have Mondays off, but Tuesdays and Wednesdays we're on the field doing drills and scrimmages. Thursday we're working out and Friday back to scrimmages. Saturday is a mix of both. I'm sorry if that seems like a lot, but I want to win. Anyone have an issue with that?"

"Nope," Zacharias Smith, another chaser, replied. The third chaser, Cadwallader, nodded in agreement.

The seeker, Summerby, asked, "So we practicing today?"

"Heck yes. One more thing, beaters, you're doing some weight training. It's more important for you two than the rest of us, although everyone will do some. Each of your work outs will be relating to what you do. Beaters, you're more weight training, as I already mentioned, and so on," Nic replied. "Alright, up in the air, I want five laps done before I get up there. Nic grabbed her broom and flew into the air. As they began their training, Nic spotted Harry slip into the stands.

"Potter!" Smith called. "Twin's here!"

"I saw," Nic replied. Rolling her eyes, she pulled up right in front of him. "What do you want, Harry?"

"Nothing, just supporting my twin sister," he lied.

"Yeah right," Nic retorted. "Harry, we're trying to train here. Do me a favor and buzz off before I kick you off the field." Aside from pushing her team as hard of possible, Nic was also being pushed herself in her training.

"So, now that you have mastered apparition and nonverbal spells," Dumbledore was saying, "I want to train you to use only nonverbal spells with the same strength as when you speak the spell. Use the targets I have set up." Nic tried and while she could still get the spell to work, they were no where near as strong. Nic's head began to hurt after they had been at it for several hours. "That's enough, I think. We'll resume tomorrow." Nic nodded wearily and went to bed.
.............................................
"Now, the knowledge you have and are going to attain is very valuable to the Dark Lord," Snape drawled. "I have already taught you the art of Occulmency, but I have not taught you how to endure interrogation and torture." Nic stiffened.

"S-So what, y-you're g-going to what, torture me?" Nic stuttered.

"No," he replied. "The way to avoid giving up information is to have strength of the mind. I will be attacking your mind to see how well you resist."

"Great," Nic replied, sitting up straight. Hours later, she had a pounding headache and had just barely resisted Snape's attempts. When he tried again, Nic was straining harder than ever to keep him from getting into her mind. Her hands shook as she clenched them into fists. A small cry of pain left her lips as she fought against him. Next moment, she felt the walls cave. Visions flashed across her mind. Quidditch practice, training, kissing Tyriq by the fireplace in the common room, her father's murder, Bellatrix torturing her. She couldn't throw him off and soon he left her mind.

"You need to focus, Potter," Snape drawled. "The Dark Lord won't give you a break to recollect your wits."

"We've been at this for hours," Nic retorted irritably.

"And so will the Dark Lord if he ever finds out how much you know," Snape countered angrily. "Again!" He delved even farther into her brain after only a few minutes of resistance. Five hours later, Nic couldn't think and it felt like a red-hot poker was being jabbed into her brain over and over. Without stopping to eat, Nic took her sleeping potion and went to sleep.