6. The Sorting Hat

They were led into the castle and into a room by a tall, strict-looking lady with black hair and a tight bun. "Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall greeted, turning to face them all. Nic had found Harry and was now standing next to him while the twins were in the back. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts.

"You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceromony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you're waiting." Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair as the Professor began to leave before turning and calling, "Ms. Potter, a word." Sharing a scared look with Harry, she followed her out of the room.

"Yes, Professor?" Nic said nervously.

"Ms. Potter," McGonagall began, "because of your...particular family situation, Professor Dumbledore had to place a particular spell on you when you were just a baby. You see, we have a kind of person called an Metamorphmagus. It means you can change your appearance at will. Dumbledore was aware of what your aunt and uncle were like and he managed to perform a spell to suppress it. After the feast, Professor Dumbledore asks that you make your way to his office so he can remove it and then he will personally guild you to your house."

"O-Okay," Nic stuttered. "Wait, I'm a what?"

"Metamorphmagus," Professor McGonagall repeated.

"Right," Nic replied, still rather confused.

Slight amusement playing on her lips, McGonagall remarked, "Apparently when he attempted to put the spell on you, your hair was changing color so fast he wasn't sure it would land on a normal color. Supposedly you were once the spitting image of your mother with your father's eyes."

"The reverse of Harry," Nic chuckled. "Thank you, Professor." Nodding, she led her back into the room and gathered the rest of the students.

"Form a line and follow me," McGonagall ordered.

Nic ended up behind Tyriq in the line and they were just leaving the room when he turned to ask, "In trouble so soon?"

"No, nothing like that," Nic laughed. He opened his mouth to respond, but he was cut off as they entered the Great Hall. On a stood before them was a very battered-looking hat. When the hat had finished, McGonagall began to call names one by one.

"Abbot, Hannah." Soon afterwards, she called, "Hufflepuff, Tyriq." The room broke out into quiet mutters as Nic's mouth fell open. Hufflepuff? Did that mean-

Turning to Tyrone, she whispered, "You're related to Helga Hufflepuff?"

"Yup," he laughed just as the hat opened its mouth.

"Hufflepuff!"

"Hufflepuff, Tyrone."

"Hufflepuff!"

More names were called until they got to... "Potter, Harry." Even more mutters broke out at the sound of his name.

The hat seemed to take forever before shouting, "Gryffindor!"

"Potter, Nicole," McGonagall called. Shaking slightly, Nic moved forward and put on the hat.

"Hm," the hat hummed. "Another Potter, but yet...so unlike the other. I see much bravery in you, but you're not reckless. Smart enough for Ravenclaw and cunning enough for Slytherin, but your heart is too good for that. Looks like it's pretty simple...Hufflepuff!" The Hufflepuff table exploded in cheers as she took off the hat and joined Tyriq and Tyrone at the table. Looking back, she gave Harry a sad, apologetic look.

"WE GOT A POTTER!" a loud voice shouted joyfully. Turning around, Nic saw several of the Hufflepuffs moving to shake her hand and all looking happier than she'd ever seen anyone. A fourth year by the name of Cedric was sitting across from her as well as the Hufflepuff prefect.

Dumbledore had stood at this point and was waiting for silence as the last person had been sorted. "Welcome!" he called, his eyes twinkling at every student. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak! Thank you." He sat down again and food appeared on all the plates.

"Wow," Nic breathed, staring at all the food. A joy such as she hadn't felt in a long time swelled within her as she looked around at the smiling faces around her.

"So, Nicole," Cedric began as she began to get food.

"It's Nic," she laughed, cutting him off. "Or Nicki."

"Alright then, Nic," he chuckled with a warm smile. "What classes are you most looking forward to?"

"Oh, I'm not sure," she admitted. "It's all so new to me, honestly."

"I'm sure you'll do great," he replied, giving her a small smile. The rest of the meal passed with much talk and laughter. Aside from Harry, Nic had never really felt like she had a family, but now, surrounded by Tyriq, Tyrone, Cedric...she felt she had a family, a home.

Once the meal was over and Dumbledore had finished all his announcements, everyone began to file out of the room, but Nic caught Cedric by the sleeve and asked, "Hey, Ced, do you know where Dumbledore's office is?"

"Yeah, it's a few floors up form here, why?" he replied.

"McGonagall asked me to go to his office after the feast," she explained. "Can you show me where it is?"

"Yeah sure," he replied with his signature smile. As they walked along, Nic became increasingly nervous.

"Thanks, Ced," Nic called, stopping at the statue that apparently led to his office. When he had gone, she relieved she had no idea how to get in. When she had at last resorted to try to push it open, Dumbledore himself came into the hall.

"Lemon drop," he said, prompting the office to open.

"Woah," Nicki breathed, still not used to the whole magic thing. Once they had gotten to his office, Nic looked around with wide eyes. Spotting the large, fiery bird, Nic asked, "Is that...is that a Phoenix?"

"This is Fawks," he explained. "Now, Ms. Potter, I should warn you your emotions can effect how you change your appearance. Sometimes it can happen because of your emotions, especially when you're not used to it." Raising his wand, he muttered a few words and this strange weight seemed lifted from her. "Now, conjuer an image in your head of something in your appearance to change. Say, hair color." She did.

Pulling a strand of hair forward, she could see deep red locks instead of black. "If I recall correctly, your father had hazel eyes," Dumbledore remarked. "I remember the first time I met you seeing those eyes in you too." Imagining them in her head, Nic restored her appearance to what it had been when she was born. Tears came to Dumbledore's eyes as he looked at her.

"What's wrong, Professor? Did I-"

"No, no," he replied, blinking away his tears. "You just look so much like her, Nicole. Lilly clearly left her mark on you."
.......................................
When Nic at last got into the common room, Cedric and Tyriq were waiting for her. "Hey," she called, stepping towards the warm fire.

"Woah, you look different," Tyriq remarked.

"Apparently I'm a metamorphmagus," I explained before crashing next to them on the couch.

"That's fun," Cedric replied. "Well we should all probably get some sleep before classes tomorrow."