13. Taken

Final exams were fast approaching and the Hufflepuff common room became much quieter as everyone was studying. Nic spent most of her time studying with Tyriq, Tyrone, Susan, and Hannah in the common room or outdoors. Sometimes Ron, Hermione, and Harry would join them, but usually they were on their own. Each one had been tasked with making a study guide for the exam using their own notes and everyone else's so they had all the information.

Hannah, who was best at Herbology, made one for that class while Tyrone did Charms. Susan did History of Magic and Tyriq did Transfiguration. Nic was left with Potions and she also opted to do Defense Against the Dark Arts. After they had all made the guides, they made copies and handed them out. After that their time was spent mostly quizzing one another and messing around slightly. Finally the exams came and they all were cramming far more and were messing around less.

Finally, the exams were all over and they got to have a few carefree days before going home. Nic was walking down the hall to meet up with her friends when she suddenly heard a voice mutter a spell and all faded to black.
............................................
When Nic came to, ropes dug into her wrists and a low groan left her lips. As she tried to lift her head, the sour pounding forced her to lay it back down. She was laying on hard stone and the room was lit by torches. A figure was towering before her and a voice was speaking, but it was very muffled. "She'll...yes, she will....Bellatrix...curse...perhaps...present...hope...Potter....James....foolish...Harry." At that point, the pain in her head caused her to pass out again.

Hours later, she was awakened by a loud shouting. "Nic! Nicole!" Then it faded back out. Loud shouts and screams echoed in her ears before everything stopped. Forcing herself up, Nic spotted the crouched figure of Dumbledore bending over a small boy.

"Dumbledore?" she mumbled, trying to sit up. A harsh wince left her lips as she got to her feet. He instantly got up, moving forward to steady her as she surveyed the room they were in. The mirror she had seen once was there as well as... "Harry," Nic gasped, attempting to rush forward.

"He'll be alright," Dumbledore assured, stopping the young girl from moving. "You need to take it easy. That was a very powerful spell Quarrel performed on you. We need to get both you and you brother to the hospital wing." She nodded, the edges of her vision beginning to fade to black again. But she managed to stay awake as DUmbledore helped her along and carried Harry with a spell through seven rooms she wasn't able to take much notice of.

"Take her to the hospital wing please, Severus," Dumbledore ordered as Nic almost fainted again. The professor simply waved his wand so she was carried through the air while Dumbledore brought Harry along. Once the two were settled, the professors left them be.