62. O.W.L.s and Training

The next morning it was announced that Umbridge was the new head of school and Nic got a letter. She was sipping at her coffee when an owl appeared.

Dear Nicole,
    I assumed you understood that I wish for you to resume your studies. If it is what it takes, leave the school. However, there are people there that need your help. Protect them.
                        - Wolfric

"Wolfric," Nic mumbled.

"One of Dumbledore's middle names," Moody growled. "Must be from him. Now, finish up, we're starting deadly curses today." Five minutes later, they were facing off. "Forgot to tell you, we're upping the antics. You need to learn to face more than one wizard or witch at a time." Tyriq entered, holding his wand.

"Hey Ty," Nic greeted as he stood by Moody. He rolled up his sleeves and raised his wand, revealing the Dark Mark on his forearm briefly before covering it again. Moody must not know what he was up to. Sixty minutes later, Nic was knocked to the ground for the third time. With a groan she got up shakily to her feet. "Again," she said shakily.

"Nic," Tyriq sighed. "You need a break."

"No," Nic retorted. "Let's go." The fight continued and soon after, she was knocked back into the wall.

"That's enough," Moody grunted as Tyriq helped her up. "End of the day essay on deadly curses, three rolls of parchment." Nic nodded and headed into the library.

She was halfway through the first roll when Tyriq approached with a cup of coffee. "This training is a little insane."

"It's what I need to do," Nic replied, not looking up. "How's your stuff going?"

"All right," he replied. "I'm just playing spy for the Dark Lord."

"Fun," Nic replied with a small chuckle.

"Well I need to head back to the school," Tyriq admitted. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," Nic replied, connecting her lips to his.

"Bye," he replied, pulling away. Once she'd finished, she changed and flew into the school to see what was going on. When she returned, McGonagall was sitting at the table.

"Hey," Nic greeted, grabbing some water. "What's up?"

"The fifth years all have career advice," she explained. "I thought you'd probably prefer to talk here than go to the school."

"Right," Nic replied, sitting down. "So..."

"What career path have you been thinking?" McGonagall asked.

"Uh," Nic replied. In truth she hadn't been thinking about it at all. "Maybe an auror? I mean...I can't really think of what else I'd like to do."

"Well you need top marks for that," McGonagall explained. "However, what with your accelerated studies, I don't think it will be any trouble."

"Professor, how long is it til exams?" Nic asked.

"Just a few weeks," she replied. "Well, if an auror is what you want to do, I'll be sure to help you along. You're well on your way already."

"Thank you, Professor," Nic replied, giving her a tired smile. Once she was gone, Nic curled up in bed and went to sleep. April turned into May and Nic's second Quidditch match of the season. Nic was currently in the changing room getting ready for the game when Tyriq came in. It took a moment for Nic to remember that no one was supposed to know that they were together.

"Potter," he greeted, heading over to his robes.

"Hufflepuff," Nic replied, ignoring the irritated looks from the rest of the team. They all knew how close the one once had been and hated seeing them any other way, but they said nothing. Once everyone had changed, they headed out. Nic smirked as she spotted Draco, looking quite smug. It was a hard game, Nic and Tyriq carrying most of it from Hufflepuff. Charlotte was captain now and the three chasers seemed to move in sync as they scored goal after goal.

Slytherin wasn't doing half bad either, but Hufflepuff was still ahead. Finally they caught the snitch and it was all over. Nic couldn't hang around to celebrate. She ran back to the house and found Romulus waiting. "I saw your match," he admitted. "You fly well."

"Thanks," Nic replied, taking off her robes and leaving her in leggings and a tank top. "You ready?"

"Yeah," he replied and they moved into the training room. "All right, we're starting Judo today. Lots of ground fighting. In a way, it's sort of like wrestling."

"Can't wait," Nic replied. Both of them were drenched in sweat an hour later when Dumbledore came into the house.

"I see training is going well," he remarked as Nic managed to get the advantage, her legs wrapped around his throat. Romulus tapped out and they both relaxed.

"Professor," Nic coughed, beginning to get to her feet. "Aren't you wanted by the Ministry? Why would you..."

"I had to check in on you," he explained. "I want you to spend more time at the school."

"Okay," she replied. "For what purpose?"

"Ah, it's nearing the end of the year," he replied offhandedly. "I need you there when Harry gets in whatever trouble he ends up in." Nic nodded, knowing there was more he could say but didn't. Over the next week leading up to the O.W.L.s, Nic was being pushed harder than she had ever before. She was training with Romulus every day from three in the morning til seven, Moody from seven fifteen to nine, McGonagall from nine to eleven, Dumbledore from eleven to three, and Snape from three to five.

Then she was in the library from five until ten. She kept up this schedule until it was time for her first O.W.L. Monday morning they had a Theory of Charms exam. Nic was able to breeze through it. That afternoon, they had the practical exam. Again, this was a breeze. Nic had training with Moody after the exams and then briefly studied for the transfiguration O.W.L. the next day. Wednesday was Herbology, Thursday DADA, and Friday was a full training day.

Saturday she spent the morning with Romulus and the full afternoon going against Moody. Sunday she spent the morning dueling and the afternoon writing essays and reading. Monday was the potions exam and she had Tuesday off, making it another full training day. Nic was sparing with Romulus when a loud commotion outside caught their attention. Looking outside, they saw that Hagrid's door had opened with a bang. Red light was flung at him as a group of wizards and witches attempted to stun him.

"How dare you!" McGonagall cried, running over the lawn towards them. "How dare you! Leave him alone, I say! On what grounds are you attacking him? What has he done to warrant such-" Four stunners shot at her, causing her to momentarily be suspended in the air before falling to the ground.

"Minerva!" Nic shouted, running towards her and ignoring Romulus' protests. Tears filled her eyes as she fell down beside her. "Professor," Nic whimpered. "Minerva, no, no!" Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Umbridge coming towards her. Raising her wand, she shouted, "GET AWAY! STAY BACK OR I WILL HEX YOU INTO OBLIVION!"

"Ms. Potter, think rationally," she retorted.

"I am thinking rationally!" Nic shouted. "I'm taking her to Madam Pomfrey. Stay out of my way!" Nic picked up McGonagall and carried her all the way inside. "Madam Pomfrey!" Nic shouted, running into the hospital wing. "Madam Pomfrey!"

"What is it?" she cried, running out of her office. "Merlin!" Nic lay McGonagall out on a bed and stepped back.

"At least four stunners," Nic explained shakily. Nic spent the rest of the night in the hospital wing before she had to go to training. She had gotten no sleep, but she managed to get through until seven when she was allowed to get some sleep. Next was the History of Magic exam. She hadn't studied for this one or even taken the class since Christmas, so she didn't know most of the information, but she got through.

Nic was half-way through her exam when she suddenly heard a scream from the seat in front of her. Harry had fallen out of his seat and was screaming. Crouching down next to him, she shook him, crying, "Harry! Harry!" He jolted awake and was instantly rushed off by the examiner.

"Back to your exam," he ordered to Nic. She shook her head and walked out.

"I'm done," Nic said, pushing passed him.