18. The Leaky Cauldron

While Harry spent his time out finishing essays and looking at the new broomstick that came out, Nic was spending her time getting the books she needed, and a few more, and writing to Tyriq and Hermione. She had told them what had happened and both had said they would come to Diagon Alley the week before school. Nic was rather excited for this year's classes. She was taking the usual ones (Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Potions, Herbology, and History of Magic) but then she was also taking some extra ones.

She was taking the Study of Ancient Runes and a special offer she'd been made by Professor Dumbledore to take advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts. Two wonderful weeks passed during which Harry and Nic spent much time together, talking and laughing and just spending time together. They both knew that once school came around they wouldn't get to see each other much, especially considering the new classes.

She had heading down the stairs at the beginning of the final week before school, when a voice called, "Nicki!"

"Ty!" Nic called, running down the last of the stairs. Immediately she wrapped him in a tight hug. "I missed you!"

"Missed you too," he replied, letting out a laugh and playfully ruffling her hair.

"Hey!" she protested, shoving his hand away, but she couldn't even pretend to be mad at him. "Tyrone here too?" Instantly Tyriq paled.

"Didn't you see my last owl?"

"No," Nic panicked just as a bird flew into the room. It was Tyriq's owl. Growing worried, she took the letter and opened it.

Dear Nic,
I know I'll see you soon, but I can't bare to tell you this in person. Tyrone was out on a walk at our house. He was walking along the cliff nearby when he slipped. He's in St. Mungo's now. When we found him, he couldn't remember anything. Physically he's fine, but they don't know if he's going to ever be able to remember us. I'm sorry, I know you two were good friends.
Love,
Tyriq

Nic's eyes glossed with tears as she rolled up the letter. Blinking harshly, she swallowed, trying to hide how worry and sad she was. "Uh," she began finally, her voice weak and almost nonexistent. "You, uh, you okay?"

"I'll be fine," he replied unconvincingly.

"So, uh, I'll just put this upstairs and then we can go hang out in Diagon Alley?" Nic suggested.

"Yeah, sounds good," he replied, glad she didn't try and talk to him about it. Soon they were walking along the wizard shops before Tyriq asked, "What happened to your wrist?"

"Oh, I think I broke it a couple weeks ago," she explained.

"Shouldn't someone look at that?" Ty replied worriedly.

"I'll see Madam Pomfrey when we all get to Hogwarts," she assured. The two spent the next six days talking and trying to forget about the state of Tyrone.

On the last day before school started, Nic was just coming downstairs to meet Tyriq when a voice called excitedly, "Nicki!"

"Hermione!" she cried, rushing to her best friend. Giving her a tight hug, she added, "Oh Merlin I was wondering when you'd show up!"

"Hey, Hermione," Ty greeted, joining them. At the sight of him, sympathy crossed her expression. Nic shook her head frantically and Hermione didn't say anything.

"So, where's Harry?" Hermione asked, looking between them. Ron was behind her, looking awkward as he wasn't really friends with either of the Hufflepuffs.

"He should be out somewhere," she replied, trying to think. "Maybe getting lunch?" The four went out to find him and had just sat down to get ice cream when they spotted him. As the three friends reconnected, Nic and Ty decided to leave them to it. When they got back to the Leaky Cauldron, Nic spotted her three favorite of the red headed Weasleys. "Fred, George, Ginny!" she cried, running to them. When she had embraced them all, she said hi to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.