52. Start of Term

"Well," Dumbledore began. "Now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices. First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now too. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubby-Palnk, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our now Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-"

"Hem hem," Umbridge coughed. Unknowingly, Nic and Tyriq shared a glance. Neither of them liked the vibe this woman was giving off. "Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," she said. Her voice was girlish and sent shivers down Nic's spine. "Hem, hem. Well it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

"What are we, five?" Hannah scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Nic shrugged as Umbridge resumed, "I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" Taking on a more professional tone, she said, "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by instruction.

"The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching. Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay.

"There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..." Most everyone stopped paying attention. Only the teachers, Hermione, Nic, and Tyriq were still listening. "Because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned.

"Let us move into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." Nic felt cold. She remained in silence until Tyriq gently nudged her shoulder.

"The first years?" he pointed out.

"Right," Nic muttered, getting to her feet. "First years! First years this way!" Once they had gotten the first years in their dorms, Nic and Tyriq sat down on the couch. "Did you hear what she said?"

"Umbridge?" Tyriq replied. "Yeah, I heard. Something tells me this year is going to be very interesting."

"What with Order stuff, O.W.L.s and Merlin knows what else," Nic groaned, lying her head on Ty's shoulder.

"At least we can go through it all together," Ty replied.

"Well, not in public," Nic sighed. "Would it really be impossible to be friends with them and me?"

"I can't," Tyriq sighed, looking at her sympathetically. "They won't trust me."

"Okay," Nic sighed. After a pause, she asked, "Ty, your parents...they're Death Eaters, aren't they?"

"Yeah," he admitted quietly. "So, be honest with me. Are you okay after everything with...with Cedric?"

Nic flinched at the name, but replied, "I'm doing better. I miss him, but...Harry said that he seemed happy, okay, when he saw him after he died. He wasn't suffering."

"At least there's that," Tyriq replied, glancing over at her on his shoulder. After a time, he said, "We should get some sleep."

"Yeah," Nic replied quietly, getting up. Before they went into their dorms, Nic called, "And Ty? I'm glad I have you back."

"Me too," he replied with a wide smile.