Exposed

Rose's POV
------
Another Christmas over, another train ride over and another afternoon spent unpacking my trunk with Katherine.

Christmas fine, it was just me dad and mum this year, the very first Christmas without Cedric. Mr Diggory did not show up this year, we didn't really speak about it much though. It was a sad 2 weeks, I could tell my mum and dad were trying to make the best of the holidays but my mind was fixated on the Quidditch tickets I bought Cedric last year...the ones he never got to even use. I owled Hermione and Katherine over the break, mostly pouring my emotions over the parchment to give myself some relief. However, I've still not heard anything from Draco which made my Christmas even more miserable, especially because I'd lost track of who was supposed to be mad at who.

I finished putting my clothes back in my wardrobe and got on with the rest of my day.

-
4 days, it had been 2 whole days and Draco still hasn't spoken to me. First it was at the feast he was wedged between Blaise and Jordan and didn't look up once from their conversation. Potions was even worse Pansy had noticed we weren't speaking and seized the opportunity to take my seat in potions, before I could make a scene Hermione dragged me to the seat behind her against my will, Draco didn't even bat an eyelid. We'd seen each other in the common room a few times these past 2 days but we were both just as bad as each other and didn't bother trying to talk, it made my heart bleed.

Pushing down all thoughts of Draco I headed to the first official DA meeting back, this time we were learning how to cast a patronus charm. Harry told us you had to think of the happiest memory possible, letting it fill us up. At first I thought about my and Cedric growing up but it just did the opposite of giving my happiness and instead brought me pain. Quickly, I pushed the thoughts away focusing on my friends, thinking about Hermione and Katherine. However that didn't work and my wand simply admitting a few sparks only. A few others were able to cast their patronus including Hermione, Luna and George as he was clearly thinking about Katherine, who also casted her charm perfectly. I however was frustrated, no memory was powerful enough.

"Keep trying Rose" Harry encouraged.

I closed my eyes and combed through my memories waiting for my heart to react to the correct one. My mind wandered to Draco...I thought about his laugh, his facial features, the side of him only I was able to see...I thought about every part of him. But a certain memory stuck out above the rest, a simple moment between us but one that made my heart flutter.

The memory of the time Draco had woken me up early flashed. Almost like a film in my head I saw him picking me up as I laughed, trying to escape his grip, I saw me run back to my bed to tease him only for Draco to pick me up bridal style only making me laugh even more. The sound of us both laughing without a care in the world, the goofy side of Draco that I loved so much. It was a moment I felt completely happy, forgetting about everything and anything because in that moment it was just him and me.

Suddenly, a bright blue robin flew out of the tip of my wand and danced around the room effortlessly as I watched in ore of the little creature. I couldn't contain my smile, I did it. However, it made me realise even more how much I missed Draco, I didn't feel whole without him that's for sure.

Just as we were all continuing to cast our charms a loud thud sounded from the end of the room making everyone come to a holt. We all looked around at one another confused as we stood in complete silence. Then it happened again another loud thud but this time a small hole was created in the wall facing us. I watched Harry as he slowly made his way to the wall, looking down and through it to flash a worried expression on his face to us all. Harry jerked backwards just as the entire wall came caving in, sending us all flying back as the rubble and bricks barely missed us. Coughing, I made me way back up to my feet to look at what the hell had just happened but I think it was obvious. Umbridge. There she was, stood with the biggest smile on her face as the entire of the inquisitorial squad stood behind her, including Draco. My eyes met his for the first time in 4 days as I saw him cling onto Cho Change with a menacing smirk on his face. I clung onto the eye contact as I glared at him desperately, one minute ago I was lost in a memory of him thinking about all the reasons I cared for him and now I was staring at someone I felt I didn't recognise.

"Now what do we have here" Umbridge tutted as she looked at us all smugly.

She took Harry with her as she made her way to Dumbledores office almost glowing with pride as I heard her ranting about calling the ministry immediately.

I shoved past Draco hard as we all made our way out of the room of requirement as Goyle made snide comments about us as we silently walked past them all. Draco didn't bother stopping me or saying anything which I was extremely glad about.

-
"I can't believe they found out" Katherine cried, frustration in her tone
"I wonder how Harry's getting on" Hermione muttered
"Dumbledore will sort it out surely" I said
"Let's hope so" Hermione replied.

We stayed up all night in the Griffindore common room as we waited anxiously for Harry to return, it felt like we had been waiting for hours on end until Harry finally came into the common room. I couldn't read his expression, I couldn't tell if he was disappointed or happy.

"What happened Harry?" Hermione asked
"Dumbledore happened" He grinned
"Well fill us in already" Ginny urged.
"Dumbledore escaped, he took the blame for all of us and told Fudge he was the one who told us to start the army...".
"That's brilliant" Ron smiled
"One downside though, I'm pretty sure Umbridge will be appointed head master" He frowned
"What?!" I shouted
"This is ridiculous" Katherine cried.

Fuck sake.

"Apparently she found out because of Cho" Harry trailed off "During the questioning"
"You can't be serious" Ron said
"And now we all have a detention together in the great hall tomorrow" Harry said
"One guess what that will be" I muttered
"The quills" Harry nodded.

I couldn't believe this, on one hand it was great Dumbledore had taken the fall for us but on the other Umbridge would now be headmaster which would only mean she'd be able to get away with her despicable punishments. To think that Cho had told her aswell, but knowing Umbridge she wouldn't have given Cho a choice that much I knew.