The Green Apple

Draco's POV
-------
It had been 2 weeks since Rose's outburst in the great hall and she had been so different these past few weeks, and not just since we broke up, since the boggart. She's lost a lot of weight, her skin was icy pale even more pale then mine if that's possible. She came to class with a different plaster or bandage on every week, the bags under her eyes were only getting worse. I tried to avoid looking at her, but when I did and looked into her eyes I couldn't see any of my Rose anymore. It was like she has been stripped away and instead of her bright blue eyes they were now dull and lifeless. She'd even been getting in trouble with the professors, talking back, she got a detention almost every class which was not like her at all. I have even spotted her looking into thin air, it's like she can see someone but whenever I turn she's just staring at nothing ...I was extremely worried about her, but I couldn't show it or do anything. It was driving me insane.

We were sat in potions, she took her usual seat next to me trying to get as much space as possible between us. She had tried to move seats a few weeks ago but Slughorn didn't allow it, part of me was glad just because she was close to me. I could tell she hated every minute of being sat with me though. Luckily for her we were working on our own potion today. Slughorn was at the front of the class dotating on potter as per usual, merlin Potter could really do no wrong in everyone's eyes.

I kept an eye on Rose from the corner of my eye, she filled in her ingredients not even caring to look at the instructions in her textbook. Which again was not like her, normally she would follow the instructions word for word to try and get the potion as perfect as possible. She always wanted to get her potion better than mine, ever since third year. All of a sudden I saw Rose's cauldron bubbling uncontrollably, she was just sitting watching it bubble away like she was waiting for it to explode. Without a moments hesitation I pushed her off her stool before the potion was able to hit her, making her break out of her trance and stumble to the side. The potion exploded and crashed into the wall behind our table, leaving a huge burn mark in the paint. If it had hit Rose she would have been seriously hurt and she didn't look as if she cared which made me sick to my stomach.

Rose looked over at the cauldron with a blank expression on her face as Slughorn raced over with fear written all over his face.

"What happened Miss Nicholls, Mr Malfoy?" He frantically questioned
"The potion exploded Sir" I explained.

"Are you okay Miss Nicholls?"
"Yes I'm fine" Rose said with no emotion
"Detention for your careless attitude!" Slughorn ordered as he took away the cauldron from our desk and made his way back to his desk, shaking his head in disappointment.

"A thanks would be nice" I spat at Rose as she took her seat again, cleaning up her mess
"Why would I thank you" she sneered
"Maybe because if it wasn't for me you'd be on your way to the hospital wing!"
"Honestly Malfoy, next time just let the cauldron hit me okay" She spat as she turned her head away from me, stopping the conversation.

Her words completely shocked me and I felt my throat completely dry up as I played over her words over again, she seemed like a completely different person now. Even more so since she had received that letter in the great hall. Merlin it was burning my inside to know what was on that letter and who had made her so clearly upset.

I had to investigate what was happening to her, if I didn't know I don't think I'll ever get the bloody cabinet fixed. I couldn't afford to spend one more night obsessing over Rose. She has detention with Snape, I'll just have to find a way to show up so I can spend time with her but not having it be so obvious. Plus it's Snape so I reckon I could get away with it. It was the only idea I had so better run with it.

Rose's POV
-------
Here I was back in detention again. Honestly this was getting so boring now. My entire existence was just pitiful, I'd get in trouble almost every lesson, ignore Katherine, eat, sleep, have nightmares and do it all over again. Katherine was the only one making an effort still although that was becoming less and less as the days went on. As for Hermione, Ron and Harry well they barely even looked at me anymore, we'd walked past each other in the corridors and almost pretend we didn't know each other. I had never felt so depressed and alone in all my life and I wasn't sure how much longer I could live with the feeling, it was growing fast and getting stronger and I was only getting weaker. Weirdly, I feels like it had always been there but it's only just coming up to the surface now.

"You'll be doing some lines today Miss Nicholls" Snape droned on as he passed me a quill and a piece of parchment. 15 minutes ticked on by when a loud knock sounded on the classroom door making me turn my head away from the parchment.

"Yes" Snape called, I was facing away from the door and couldn't see who had just walked in.
"Dumbledore wants to see you sir" the all to familiar voice of Draco rang out from the back of the room.
"Very well Mr Malfoy, you stay here with Miss Nicholls until I return"
"Very well professor".

Merlin no.

I felt my hands hold on tighter to the quill as Snape got up and made his exit, allowing Draco to come and lean himself up against the desk a smirk wide on his face. He was enjoying making me uncomfortable. I tried my best to get back to writing my lines but I could feel Draco's eyes burning into me.

"Want something?" I snapped
"Just observing your detention"
"Well you can observe without staring at me"
"Why have you been getting in so much trouble?"
"Malfoy shut the fuck up" I sneered
"Oooo not very nice" He smirked
"Your such a dickhead" I muttered under my breath
"I heard you" He teased
"Good!".

Silence

Just as I began to write my lines again Draco took out a green apple out of his pocket and proceeded to bite down on the apple as loud as possible. The crunching noise of the apple filling up the entire room. I put my quill straight back down and watched him take another bite of the apple, only much louder this time.

"I will throw that damn apple out of the window if you don't stop Malfoy".

He simply ignored me and took another loud bite of the apple, his smirk only growing further.

"Hurry up Snape please" I whispered
"Is my presence bothering you Blondie?"
"No I'm just worried if he doesn't hurry back soon I will actually kill you and your apple, I don't really want to end up in Azkaban...the uniform wouldn't suit my skin tone" I smiled.
"Your so touchy these days" He spat
"You and me both, but at least I'm not a-"
"Watch it Blondie!" He seethed
"Shut up then!" I spat.

Finally Draco had stopped talking and took a seat on Snape's desk simply minding his business. I sat and enjoyed the silence as I wrote more lines, the process getting more to tedious as I went along.

Wondering where the hell Snape was I looked up at the clock but before I could check the time he was there. His face pale, his eyes cold, he stood there watching me his eyes piercing into mine. It caught my off guard and I fell of my desk and to the stone floor in panic closing my eyes so tightly hoping he'd go. Not here please I thought on a loop as I kept my eyes shut tight, fear of him still being stood there burning into me.

"Please please please" I whispered into my knees as I brought them to my chest. I had almost forgot Draco was in the room. I rocked myself back and forth as I felt hot tears run down my cheek.

"Whats wrong?!" Draco called out.

I opened my eyes the second I heard his hoarse voice as he rushed over to me, I swear I saw a flash of love flash in his eyes. To my relief Cedric has gone and I felt my body relax once again as the tears stopped pooling from my eyes.

"Nothing I fell that's all" I muttered while standing to my feet and brushing myself off.
"Rose you were crying and whispering to yourself" he actually sounded concerned, and he used my real name...

"Your crazy" I scoffed "I'm done with my detention"
"Wait" he shouted and he pinned me against the wall and grasped hold of both of my wrists so I couldn't escape.

He didn't say anything he just stared straight at me like he was trying to work something out, his hands were firmly wrapped around my wrists and I felt like my entire body was on fire from his touch.

"Let me go" I screamed as I fought against him trying to release myself from his grip
"What's up with you for merlins sake" he shouted back.

"Let me go please, your hurting me you bastard!"
Suddenly he released my wrists and looked at me with panic in his eyes, his eyes still firmly on mine.
"Just go then" He spat and I didn't need telling twice I picked up my bag and raced out of the door.

Leaving Draco behind.