Liquid Luck

Rose's POV
------
Me and Katherine raced into the great hall, late for the feast. We entered to see the food already piled up high only making us walk faster to our seats as our hunger took over. Draco was sat staring into space with an empty seat right by him, before Pansy could ruin the feast and sit by him I raced to the seat and took my rightly placed next to Draco.
"Hey" I smiled, grabbing his hand from under the table as the broke out of his gaze
"Hey" He weakly smiled
"Are you okay?" I whispered so only he could hear, he simply nodding in response while squeezing my hand gently.

"Rose" Katherine called "Look at Harry!"
I turned to see Harry walking into the great hall along with Luna...but his nose was pouring with blood.
"Why is it always him " I said seriously.

I felt Draco tense next to me as Katherine and me tried to get Hermione's attention to ask what had happened, she simply shrugged. I looked over to Draco as he pushed his foot around on his plate barely eating anything. It made the pit of worry in my stomach only grow. He had he blankest expression throughout the entire speech, especially during Dumbledores speech. He looked like he was going to be sick the entire speech and did not let go of my hand once. Not that I was complaining.

"Hey I'm going to go back to my dorm to sleep" Draco whispered to me once the feast ended
"Want me to come with you?" I said
"No its fine darling see you tomorrow" He smiled as he kissed my forehead and made his way out of the great hall in a hurry.

"Is he okay?" Blaise asked
"Yeah I think he's just tired" I tried to lie, even though it wasn't sure if it was just his family that was troubling Draco.

Draco's POV
-------
I made my way to my dorm, sweat dripping down every single pore. I'd fucked up already. I was supposed to stay away from Rose, but the second I heard her voice and saw her face I just couldn't help myself. She was my Rose.

This summer had been hell on earth, my disgusting excuse for a father had been chucked away in Azkaban which usually would be a relief to not have him in the family home. However, I had been made to step up and I guess take his place for the time being...it was given the dark mark. I can still remember the stomach curdling pain as the mark was branded onto skin, it made every inch of my body feel like it was on fire. It was disgusting, it plagued my skin making me feel ashamed of myself and what I had become. A monster. There was nothing my mother could do, I could see the pain in her eyes when the Dark Lord marked my flesh however all I felt was anger towards my father for putting me in this position in the first place.

That wasn't even the worst part, the Dark Lord had given my a task and if I did not complete it...he would kill me...he would kill my mother. But the task was gut wrenching, it made my cry for weeks on end when I was first told about it. I had been given a vanishing cabinet to mend in the room of requirement and once it was fixed death eaters would invade the castle. Putting every single person in danger, putting Rose in danger. Then, once they invaded Hogwarts...I had to kill Dumbledore. The person who had looked out for all of us since my first day at Hogwarts. I was not a killer, I did not and never want to become that. Ever. But what could I do, if I failed the consequences would be worse than the task. It was petrified and everyone could see it, but no one knew why.

My mother had warned me to cut any meaningful connections this year for people's safety...She knew somehow I had someone here I cared about deeply. That was my plan, to keep Rose safe and ignored her but I just couldn't I mean she was my person I couldn't be without her. She was the only thing keeping me going I just had to be careful.

-

"Rose Nicholls wake up!" I heard Katherine shout as I tried to ignore her and drift back into sleep
"Rose we're going to be late!" She shouted again
"I don't care" I groaned against my pillow
"WAKE UP" she said dragging to covers off me, revealing the harsh cold of the dorm.
I fluttered my blue eyes open to see Katherine chucking my robes right at all trying to hurry me along.
"Fine fine" I muttered regretting my decision to wake up I sluggishly moved to the bathroom and got myself ready. Applying a small amount of makeup, tidying my hair into a high ponytail and slipping into my robes I made my way out of my dorm with Katherine and made our way to potions. We had a new Professor this year seen as though Snape was now the head of defence against the dark arts.

"Sorry we're late it was this ones fault" Katherine muttered to Slughorn as we made our way into the classroom.
"It's quite alright ladies" Slughorn smiled.
Draco gestured his hand for me to come and stand besides him, I shot Hermione and Katherine a smile before making my way over to Draco.

Slughorn began to tell us the about what will be learning this year and what is required to pass our exams just as he was about to tell us what the little vile in the centre of the classroom is Harry and Ron burst in.
Ron did not look happy to be here that much I could already tell and I could practically feel Hermione roll her eyes from across the room. Once their sudden entrance was dismissed and they came to join the rest of us Slughorn contained to talk about the little vile.

"Does anyone know what this is" He said as he held the vile up to the light
"Liquid luck sir" Hermione said
"Correct" Slughorn smiled "Now anyone who can complete the potion on pages 176 perfectly will win this little vile of luck!" He beamed, sending us away to our cauldrons.

"We've got this" Draco winked at me as he went against the rules as usual and insisted we work together. He looked desperate to get this vile I could see it in his stormy grey eyes, so I didn't hesitate to do my best to help him. I mean if we both our heads together we can do it. Slughorn hasn't batted an eyelid at us working together but I still kept cautious incase he disqualified us, normally I wouldn't care but I could see Draco's determination.

However, Slughorn had made this potion impossible I added all the right ingredients as did Draco but it was no use. All of a sudden Seamus' cauldron exploded right in his face making me laugh uncontrollably as his face was covered in the ingredients and his hair was static. I laughed so hard my stomach started to heart, Seamus however did not find it as funny as everyone else did. Draco smirked as he saw me clinging onto my stomach trying to control my laughter as he nudged me slightly to get back to the potion.

Suddenly, Seamus was the one laughing at me as my hair had grow in size and was practically burnt at the ends, I looked like something out of a horror movie. Seamus had been right it really wasn't that funny. Everyone was struggling at this point, Hermione looked the exact same as me, Draco had even had to go and change into a jumper his robes were that damaged. By the end of the lesson every one looked like hell well apart from one person.

"Congratulations Mr Porter here is your vile of liquid luck...use it wisely" He smiled as he gestured to the rest of the class to cheer, however we all stood there with annoyance on every single face. Especially Draco.

"Saint Potter" Draco spat to Blaise and Jordan, making me nudge him slightly.

I could tell Draco was disappointed even though he hid it well, he was always so good at concealing his emotions. I wish I could have won the liquid luck for him but honestly there was no chance I could have ever gotten that potion right it was useless.

"Wanna spend our free period together" I asked Draco
"I'm actually going to go back to my dorm and get some work done"
"Are you sure?" I asked
"Yes I'll see you later" He smiled and then he was gone.

Draco's POV
-------
I hated lying to Rose, I lied right to her face in potions. But I had to get working on the vanishing cabinet it was essential, she couldn't know anything about it or she wouldn't be safe anymore. It was important I kept my priorities straight and didn't allow her to distract me to much even though all I wanted to do was spend as much time with her as possible. All I could do was use any moment away from the cabinet to be with her to keep me sane through all of this.

I worked on the cabinet all the way through my free period, through dinner and all the way through the night until 3am when I returned to my dorm for another sleepless night. This cabinet was going to be death of me at this rate, the damn thing was already proving difficult to mend. I had been hoping the liquid luck would help me but of course Potter got it, what's bloody new around here...