Not The Right One For You

Rose's POV
——————
It was the day before heading back to Hogwarts, another Christmas had been and gone. This year the full 2 weeks had been spent at the Burrow with the Weasleys, my parents had decided to hold up in the muggle world. Plus, I felt safer here at the Burrow along with the order who would meet every now and then. But the order was getting less and less these days. Molly spent most of the Christmas period talking about Ron, she was worried sick. They were out there someone all we could do was hope that they were safe. We all tried our best to take her mind off it, Fred and George even tried to pull a couple of pranks which made everyone laugh, but it never lasted long. I had been clinging onto my green blanket all day, every day. Again I wasn't sure why. The sky had grown darker, the clouds were getting angrier, even the muggles could feel it. Rumours had been going around that the Dark Lord was enraged, killing everyone in sight only meaning Harry, Hermione and Ron must be close. They must be out there figuring this out. At least that was what we were all thinking.

Me and Katherine were setting down our trunks in the front room ready to leave tomorrow. Our nerves were sky high about returning back to Hogwarts but we had promised Neville we would go back. Katherine made her way over to George, wrapping herself up his arms as they sat looking out towards the fields of the Burrow. I took a seat next to Fred and Ginny who were discussing something about the best pranks Fred and George had pulled off. Trying their best to find any humour in the current climate.

"I think when you set a firework show off at Hogwarts is up there" I smiled
"I will never forget old Umbridges face" Fred laughed
"It was priceless" I added, laughing along with him
"Or giving out all of them pucking pastilles to the first years" Katherine giggled
"No that was just cruel" Ginny rolled her eyes, just making us all laugh more.

Suddenly, a knock sounded on the door making our laughter to come out to a holt to look up with curiosity.
"I'll get it" I said getting up from my chair to answer the door.
I slowly opened the door, completely surprised to see who was standing there.
"Matt!" I gasped
"Rose" Matt smiled "I've missed you".
Without saying anything more I launched myself into Matt's arm, our smiles growing wide as we held onto each other tightly for the first time in far to long.

"I'm sorry I haven't been in contact much" Matt said
"Honestly, I don't care I've missed you too much" I smiled as I pulled away from the hug to take in Matt's appearance.
"I've got some news"
"What is it?" I asked
"The reason I've not been around is because it's been training"
"Training?"
"To become a new member of the order, Tonks has been training me"
"Your part of the order!" I gasped
"Sure am" Matt smirked
"Matt that's amazing!" I beamed as I pulled him into another long hug.

"Nice one mate" George smiled as everyone came over to greet Matt
"It's good to have you with us!" Fred added
"Where are you staying dear" Molly smiled warmly as he pulled Matt inside
"With Tonks and Remus for the time being"
"Well your welcome here anytime!" Molly beamed
"Thank you Mrs Weasley".

Matt gestured me towards the sofa, taking something out of his jacket pocket as we seat down besides each other. He pulled a present, wrapped up in the cheesiest Christmas wrapping possible, his cheeks flushing as he handed me the gift.

"What's this?" I smiled
"A late Christmas gift, open it" He said eagerly
"Okay" I laughed.
I ripped the Christmas wrapping apart, excited to see whatever was underneath. Once the wrapping fell to the floor my heart stopped in my chest as I looked down at the present, tears pooling in my eyes.
"I love it Matt!" I said pulling him into yet another hug.

Matt had gotten me a framed picture taken from a summer a few years back. Me, him and Cedric all huddled together, smiling like idiots. My heart swelled looking down at the picture, memories flooding to the front of my brain. Me and Matt had been through so much together, we had gotten through missing Cedric together. This gift meant the world to me, especially during the time we were in.

"I'm glad you like it" He said playfully pushing his shoulder onto mine
"He'd be so proud of you" I smiled
"He'd be proud of us both" Matt smiled back.

We stayed up for hours, talking and catching up. We had so much to talk about it was ridiculous. I felt closer to Cedric being with Matt, and I know he felt the same way too. Matt was like a brother to me now, him and Cedric had always been my older brothers at heart. Having him back in my life only made me realise how much I had needed him in the first place.

Matt walked me along platform 9 3/4 carrying my trunk along with George who carried Katherine's. It was already quite obvious that the students returning had already been halved, but this was a good thing. Ginny ran up to Neville as soon as she saw him, laughing over the fuss his grandmothers was making over him as he looked down in embarrassed. I looked around in hopes of seeing Luna but she wasn't here. I know from Neville's owls he had been hoping when we turned up for the new semester she would just be there waiting, but she wasn't. Katherine held George in a tight embrace before she left to board the train only making Fred roll his eyes in the distance seeing his brother so loved up. I reckon he's just jealous.

Right before I was about to say goodbye to Matt, Michael came running up to us with a wide smile. He pulled me into a hug, greeting both me and Matt with wide eyes.

"It's good to see you Rose"
"You too Michael"
"So this is Michael" Matt smirked "Nice to meet you"
"You too mate" Michael smiled as he shook Matt's hand
"Best look after my Rose here" Matt continued which only made Michaels cheeks grow bright red.
"I'll see you on the train" I smiled to Michael which made him seem relieved to escape the instance stare Matt was shooting in his direction.

"So that's Michael" Matt said slowly
"Yes? And what about it?"
"Nothing, nothing"
"Matt...Spit it out"
"I know you and he's not the right one for you".

Silence

"You don't seem excited by him Rose, he doesn't make you light up" Matt continued
"You got all that from a 2 minute conversation" I scoffed
"Like I said, I know you"
"We've only been seeing each other for a little while, nothing is official"
"Exactly! Because he's just not for you"
"Matt-"
"I could be wrong but that's just my take on it".

Silence

"Come here, give me a hug before you leave" He smiled pulling me into his chest
"Who is right one for me" I scoffed
"You'll know when you find them"
"Right, I best get going before I miss the train"
"I'll owl you"
"You better" I smirked before I turned on my heels and made my way for the train before the last call sounded.

I made my way into the compartment where Ginny, Neville, Katherine, Michael, Seamus and Dean were waiting. I sat in between Michael and Katherine, the conversation with Matt spinning around in my mind. Maybe he was right, maybe Michael should just be a friend. I didn't feel the way Katherine felt towards George, the way Harry felt about Ginny and Hermione and Ron. It was odd but I felt like I was made for someone else, someone close. A feeling that had been haunting me since the start of the year.