Hogwarts Has Changed

Rose's POV
------
The steam of the Hogwarts express expelled into the air as the train set in motion, beginning our final year at Hogwarts. Me, Katherine, Ginny and Luna sat in the compartment together, all feeling strange without Hermione, Ron and Harry. The entire atmosphere of the students this year centred around fear, war was coming and soon. I watched as trees flew past the window and listened to Neville trying to calm our nerves while he talked about Herbology. The lady with the trolley full of sweets hadn't come by and no laughter could be heard in the train. Me and Katherine were starting to think we should have just stayed at the Weasleys instead of returning back to Hogwarts.

Just as I ripped my gaze away from the scenery from outside the window the trains doors burst open and the lights went out. Katherine grabbed only my air as we heard students screaming as the sound of heavy boots sounded on the floor. We all grabbed our wands and held them to us close as the sound only got louder and louder. I saw the fear in Neville's face flash as he stepped in front of Ginny and Luna. I closed my eyes just praying whatever it was would just walk past our compartment. But it didn't. The sound reached our compartment door and we were met with the terrifying sight of two masked death eaters. They both burst into our compartment with their wands pointing straight at us. I pushed myself forward not knowing what I was going to do, Katherine followed. However, the two haunting masked figures tossed me and Katherine aside with ease and charged forward, grabbing Luna by the collar of her blue jacket. They harshly pushed Luna out of the compartment, Neville raced forward trying to her to her, screaming. Katherine clocked Neville raising his wand right at the death eaters and lunged herself forward to hold him back as they took a shaken Luna away and out of the train. I felt my body go numb as I saw Luna vanish with the two figures, her face emotionless as she was sent into thin air. The train lights suddenly came back on as students began to whisper and even cry.

"Why did you do that!" Neville shouted
"We didn't stand a chance against them" Katherine protested
"It's Luna!" He shouted again
"They would have killed you if I tried to stop them" Ginny said, agreeing with Katherine
"Neville, we will get her back" I tried
"Her father has been writing in the quibbler showing favour to Harry..I'm guessing what's why they took her" Katherine said.

Silence

"Neville, I'll go with to tell McGonagall when we arrive at Hogwarts, she can help" Ginny said
"They won't kill her, they have no reason to" I said.

Silence

I felt my entire body stiffen for the rest of the ride back as we all listened to Neville try and hide his tears. I felt guilty, we should have tried to help Luna more but Katherine was right they would have just killed us. There was brave and then there was stupid. But, Luna is stronger than anyone thinks and Neville won't stop until she is found, McGonagall won't either. The list of witches and wizards going missing had started rising now...

-
Me and Katherine made our way over to the Slytherin table ready for the feast, we took a seat next to Blaise in Jordan. Hogwarts had already clearly changed, there were no candles floating above anymore, lighting up the great hall. Instead the hall was dull, gloomy. No was was laughing and chatting like usual, everyone was deadly silent as we awaited McGonagall I mean we all expected her to be the new headmaster. I looked over to the Griffindore table to see Hermione's usual place empty making my heart yearn to know if she was okay. Me and Katherine had already felt her absence heavily already.

"Hey Rose" Blaise turned to me, smiling slightly
"Hey" I weakly smiled back
"Is Draco even coming back this year" Jordan blurted out, randomly looking directly at me
"Why are you looking at me?" I questioned
"I-I'm not sure..." Jordan said, looking just as confused as I was.
He turned away from me awkwardly as the teachers took their seats, looking at us with sorrowful eyes. But McGonagall was not standing where the headmaster would...Snape was.

Surely not.

"Welcome students, due to the events of last year I have been appointed your new headmaster of Hogwarts. I will start by informing you all there will be no sorting ceremony this year instead all first year students will sorted on there own. Secondly, I would like to introduce you to your new defense against the dark arts teachers; Alecto and Amycus Carrow. They will be also in charge of punishments this year, so I advise you all to stay out of trouble we will not tolerate misbehaviour."

I turned to look the the Carrow twins, everyone knew they were well known death eaters right? And they were allowed to teach at Hogwarts?. Katherine grabbed onto my hand from underneath the table as I felt it shake against mine. I was glad I had Katherine, Merlin I was glad. My head turned over to Neville and Ginny who's complexion had turned completely white as they looked at the Carrow siblings. I even saw some Slytherin students smile at the news making my nerves fly high sky.

"Finally, there will be some new rules here at Hogwarts. Curfew has been pushed back to 6pm, you will be escorted between classes by your professors and anyone caught outside curfew will be severely punished. No exceptions." Snape said sternly, somehow managing to look us all in the eye.

Snape left as soon as his speech ended, disappearing into the darkness of the castle, leaving the Carrows to glare at us all during the feast. I just couldn't stomach any food, no one could. Most of us just moved around the food on our plate aimlessly, counting down the minutes until we were dismissed. Just like Snape had said, we were all escorted to our dorms by prefects. We practically marched down in unison, all in silence taking in the icy, neglecting halls. I kept my eyes firmly on Katherine as we walked down to our dorms, I didn't want to take in the lonely scenes of Hogwarts, a place that once felt like home seemed more like a prison now.

"What the fuck" I breathed out as me and Katherine finally made it to the safely of our dorm
"Snape as headmaster! And the Carrows, this is crazy" Katherine blurted, pacing up and and down.
"Did you see the look on McGonagall's face aswell"
"She looked horrified" Katherine nodded
"It's a good thing Hermione isn't here" I frowned.

Silence

"Hogwarts has changed" Katherine muttered
"At least we have each other" I weakly smiled.
"Yes your right" She smiled back.

I sat up and read for a couple of hours as Katherine snored in her sleep, muttering something about George in her sleep. I didn't need to know...

Once exhaustion washed over my body I crawled into the four poster bed, but it didn't feel as comfy as I remembered it. The pillows were lumpy, she sheets thin. No warmth whatsoever. I felt lonely laying under the covers, like something was missing. I turned my head on the rock hard pillow to see a green blanket tossed in the corner. Since when did I own a green blanket?. I reached my hand over and grabbed it firmly, pulling it onto me. Oddly enough I felt comforted by it sprawled over me, warmth returning into my body. The smell of mint and cologne washed over me as the scent radiated from the blanket, filling my body up with peace. But I just couldn't place where I had bought it. Not that it mattered because the comfort it brought me made me drift into a deep sleep.