The Carrows

Rose's POV
------
Me and Katherine had purposely set our alarm early, not wanting to find out what would happen if we were late to defence against the dark arts. We changed into our Slytherin robes and made our way silently to class, both nervous for the first lesson with the Carrows. I had a bad feeling, I think everyone did. Especially for my friends in other houses because being a Slytherin gave me and Katherine some kind of safely, as-well as being purebloods.

We made our way into the classroom and swiftly took a seat at the back of the class next to each other, Neville and Ginny came in only a moment later and sat in front of us. The class filled up quicker than normal, I think everyone had the same idea as me and Katherine. I felt my heart pound like a drum as the Carrow siblings stood silently at the front of the room, narrowly staring at each student for maximum discomfort. It was already clear they had no true intention of teaching defensive spells, they did not even both to hide the dark marks imprinted on their skin.

Textbooks got passed around the room silently as Alecto waved her wand in the air, the books landed hardly on the table and opened themselves up to the right page.

Katherine raised her shaky hand when she looked down at the page, taking a deep breath before either of the Carrows noticed her hand.

"Yes" Amynus said
"Sorry, it's just we've already learnt about the unforgivable curses sir" Katherine stuttered
"What's your name?" Amynus said bluntly making Katherine's body tense up.
"Katherine-Katherine Anderson"
"Well Miss Anderson you have been taught about them yes, but you have not practiced them".

Silence

More Silence

"Practiced?" I question
"And you are" Alecto sneered
"Rose Nicholls"
"Miss Nicholls it would do you good not to question our teaching" she said
"I-wa" but before I could finished Katherine kicked my leg from underneath the table ushering me to shut my mouth.

I watched the Carrows smirks turn into something more sinister as they positioned themselves in front of the class.

"Today you will be practicing the cruciatus curse first today on some animalsto start you off, then with Imperius curse and then you will practice them both on your peers"Alecto smirked.

Silence

More silence

"That's illegal!" Neville blurted out
"It was, but the ministry now have taken back that obscene law...Mr?"
"Longbottom sir" Neville said making Amynus and Alecto roar with laughter.
"So everyone collect an animal from the cages at the back and get to work" Amynus smirked.

But no one moved.

"GET UP NOW" Amynus spat which suddenly made every jump out of their seats and walk towards the cages at the back. Everyone in the room turned a pale sickly colour as we tried to choose an animal to 'practice' these awful spells on.

Begrudgingly I took a small rat from one of the cages and brought it back to my desk, the rats beady little eyes looked back up at me making my heart pound harder. Everyone stared down at their animals feeling unable to raise their wands even an inch.

"Come on we don't have all day!" Amynus spat, sending shivers down my spine.

Silence

No one had the stomach to do it, this was inhumane.

"Miss Nicholls, a fellow Slytherin why don't you show us all" Alecto uncomfortably smiled at me.

Silence

"Miss Nicholls, Now!" Alecto spat
"NO!" I shouted
"What was that?" Shouted Alecto
"I said I won't do it!" I spat.

Silence