Vaccine

The gravely ill and infected sailors had all been hurried back onto their ships and turned away from the port by the Sicilian authorities. 

You could tell how frustrated the doctor was at not being able to do anything to help. You expected that the sailors would probably survive only a few days more, and end up meeting their fates in the middle of the ocean, becoming stranded and shipwrecked. 

The worrying thing was you all knew how contagious and infectious the plague would become and that, just by the sailors docking at the port, some of the people standing in the crowd and watching would have become infected.

"What if any of us catch it?" Yaz asked with a concerned look.

"We'll all be fine, where your all from, the plague has been and gone many years ago, you will all have the antibodies and immune systems to fight it off, it can rarely be caught in your time, and if someone does catch it; it's really mild and not life threatening, your medicine can help treat it".

"That's so frustrating knowing that we know how to help these people, we know the death and destruction that's coming their way, but there's nothing we can do to stop it!" you said, frustrated.

"I wish I could, but we can't interfere with fixed points in history" the doctor sighed.

She moved forward and gently placed her hand on your arm.

"I know you wouldn't get too unwell if you were to catch it , but just to be on the safe side...." The doctor said, as you felt a quick sharp jab go into your arm that she was holding.

"OW!" you shouted.

"What was that? Why didn't you tell me you were going to do that?" you asked, annoyed.

The doctor had moved over to Ryan, Graham and Yaz and injected them all with the same strange device in her hand.

"Also, where on earth did you get that from?" you asked, raising your eyebrows at her.

"Pockets" the doctor replied with a scronch, "Thought I'd just do it whilst I had the chance so you didn't pull away as you don't like needles" the doctor said sheepishly, "Sorry" she added as she gently kissed the end of your nose, causing you to giggle.

"I suppose I forgive you" you laughed, "What did you inject us with though?" you questioned.

"This is a vaccine for the plague from New New York, they have some of the most advanced medicines in the whole universe, I knew you all wouldn't become too unwell, but I didn't want to take any chances" the doctor explained.

"And you just happened to have it in your pocket?" you questioned.

"This little gadget always comes with me; it has the vaccines and cures for many know illnesses across the universe. Since you all started travelling with me, I wanted to make sure I could keep you all as safe as possible" she smiled.

"Well that's good to know" Graham chirped up, he was rubbing his arm where he had been injected and wincing slightly as he said it, "next time, just warn us that that your going to use that thing" he laughed.

"You have the cure right there in your hand and you can't even use it" Yaz said sadly.

"We can't interfere Yaz" The doctor said.

"Yeah... we never interfere" Ryan said sarcastically.

"What I want to know..." the doctor said, "is why the Tardis bought us here, and why she decided to telepathically connect with (y/n)  and show you the crystal ball...unless...no, it can't be their doing...I trapped them inside of it, but that would be in the future ..." the doctor was mumbling.

"Doc, your going off on one again" you laughed.

"Sorry!" she quickly said, snapping back to reality.

"What the Tardis showed you is a race called the Carrionites, they use word based science, a sort of witchcraft to do their bidding's, their true forms are that of a skeletal raven or crow but they can disguise themselves to look more human, it takes them a lot of energy to do so and they mostly look old and haggard, just like a witch..." the doctor explained.

"What I don't understand is, I've encountered them before in the future when they escaped the depths of the darkness and tried to use Shakespeare as their puppet...but I managed to stop them and entrap them in a crystal ball..." the doctor said confused.

"What was Shakespeare like?" Yaz asked, intrigued.

"A massive flirt" the doctor laughed.

"Oy!" you said, shooting her an annoyed look.

"And you're not?" the doctor snorted.

You couldn't really argue with that, so you just stuck your tongue out and laughed lightly.

"The carrionites were trying to use Shakespeare's pain and heartache from losing his son to release the rest of their race from the darkness... hang on...Shakespeare's son died from the plague! They most have escaped earlier than expected....surely they can't have created the plague?" the doctor questioned.

"No way!" Ryan exclaimed.

"Well,  if they are here and I find out they had anything to do with it, I've sent them back to the darkness once before, I won't hesitate to do it again!" the doctor said with a sudden hint of rage appearing inside of her eyes.

"I thought we couldn't get involved" Graham laughed.

"We can't prevent the plague from happening or cure anyone who has it, it will unfortunately spread and kill millions of people and it pains me that I can't help...what we can do though is prevent anything else from happening" the doctor explained.

"I think it's best we go and have a look around then" you said eagerly, about to take a step off into the town.

The doctor quickly grabbed you by the hand.

"I'm not having you wander off, not if the carrionites really are here...we can go and investigate, but we stick together" the doctor instructed.

"Together",  you nodded back at her and led her by the hand, with Yaz, Graham and Ryan following behind, as you began to explore the old and ancient little town within Sicily.

Little did you all know, the three mysterious figures had just been watching you and listening to your every words. 

"The doctor..." one of them shrieked.

"We need to be wary of that one" they cackled.

"She knows of us and are witchcraft...as well as her little pets" the carrionites shrieked.

"We must not let them stop our plans....death will come and it will spread far and wide. We will rid the world of these filthy humans and spread disease and destruction wherever we go. We will rise again...but first, let's pay this doctor and her little friends a visit..." they all cackled loudly in unison.