Crush

The Bronze had finally reopened after the whole Troll thing and tonight was the Grand Opening so of course I was here but it had a more neon-futuristic look to it. Less gothic and more modern it made me feel strange not my usual scene. The place was packed with people dancing, talking, drinking.

So here I was listening to the music Willow and Tara were dancing so was Xander and Anya.  Buffy was dancing in between the two couples. Even the mated vampires had dancing partners. Dancing was my favorite thing but tonight I just didn't want to, I haven't danced in so long.

The group Summercamp was onstage performing their song 'play it by ear'.

'I'm amused by the overwhelming choices

I guess the hardest part is knowing when to stop

I'm confused and I think I'm hearing voices

Things are happening so fast

Do I save the best for last?'

I sighed watching the others dance, sitting at a low round table by myself drinking a coke. 

"Bleedin' crime is what it is." A voice said I looked up seeing Spike sitting down in a chair beside me. He was in a more casual style, khaki pants, a blue-gray button down shirt over a black T and a shiny brown leather jacket not his usual attire but he looked good.

"Jackin' up the bar price to pay for fixin' up this sinkhole. Not my fault insurance doesn't cover act of troll."

"Maybe it's time you found a new place to patronize, the Bronze is kinda boring now." I told him bored. "Even for me, the whole retro theme is a bit much." I glanced around at the neon colors. "I'd rather be at Fangtasia."

"I've half a mind to!" He said sitting back. "Especially since the flowering onion got remodeled off the sodding menu." He leaned forward making me eye him closely.  "the only thing this place had going for it."

"What are you doing?" I asked tilting my head at him.

"Wha, what do you mean what am ... I ..."

"Here at this table." I told him staring him down. "Like we're friends."

"Well, I saw you... sitting here alone. Thought, I don't know, you could, maybe do with a bit of, uh, you know, company."

I raised an eyebrow causing him to frown.

"Suit yourself!" He snapped getting up.

I turned back to the dance floor.

"Although" I heard him mutter and sat back down making me roll my eyes. "It's just, we took on that Glory chippie together, I was right there with you, fightin' the fight."

"Actually, you were sleeping the sleep of the knocked unconscious."

"Still, points for intent." He said making me look at him doubtfully. "You'd think that would be enough to cut me a sliver of slack. Earn a little consideration, respect."

I went to agree but was cut off by Xander and Anya coming over.

"Hey uh evil dead, your in my seat." Xander told him.

Spike turned his head to look at them and sighed.

"Bugger it." He said reaching for his beer bottle, knocked it over accidentally then grabbed it getting up and walked away. I bit my lip watching him in confusion and sadness while Xander and Anya sat down.

"Xander, I think you may have hurt his feelings." Anya said seeing the look on my face. 

"And you should never hurt the feelings of a brutal killer." Xander said before pondering it. "You know that's uh, that's actually some pretty good advice."