This Year's Girl

The gang were in Xander's basement, Xander was attempting to work on this blast rifle from the initiative.

"So here it is." Xander said. "The latest in state-of-the-art combat technology. I gotta say, it doesn't look that complicated."

I was beside him examining the weapon while Buffy watched us and Giles watched from his chair. Xander had a wrench like he was about to dig into it.

"So you can repair it?" Buffy asked.

"Sure. Just as soon as I get my master's degree in advanced star ship technology." Xander responded throwing down his wrench in disgust.

"Well why can't we just experiment then?" I asked looking at the weapon. "you know press some buttons, see what happens."

"I'd like to veto that." Giles said.

"Second" Xander said looking at me annoyed. 'It's called a 'blaster' Tor. The word that tends to discourage experimentation. Now if it was called 'The Orgasminator' I'd be first to try your basic button-press approach."

"You're cruising for a bruising." I told him glaring, making his eye twitch.

"Just tell me can you fix it or not?" Buffy said snapping.

"Working on it" Xander muttered. "Working on it but if I blow a hole into Mom's azalea patch, the neighbors will not be pleased." 

He switched to a needle-nose-pliers and went back to fiddling with the thing.

"Buffy you okay?" I asked noticing her emotions running wild. 'You've been patrolling three days straight maybe you need-"

"What? some rest?" Buffy said. "There's a demoniod killing machine out loose and it doesn't only work the night shift."

"I was going to say that let me back you up" I said shrugging. "But now that you mention it maybe you should take a nap I can handle patrol for a while, let you gather some strength."

"Just get the blaster working, that's all the strength I need."

"Are you sure?" Willow asked.

"Why, because ray guns aren't in the Slayer Handbook? You haven't seen this Adam thing, Will. He's the Terminator without the bashful charm. He's fast, he's deadly, and the last time we met he kicked my ass" Buffy said. "I don't think Tori's vamp strength will help either.."

"We don't know that" I whispered to myself.

"Oh. No, blast away, by all means, I only meant..." Willow said "No word about Riley?"

Buffy froze, closing her eyes in pain. 

"They keep telling me he's fine, and that's all they'll say."

"Maybe they're telling the truth." Will added.

"Maybe, but I don't even know what The Initiative version of "fine" is. They could be forcing him back onto medication, or torturing him for all I know." Buffy told us.

"I know it's hard" I told her. "but from all we've seen, I doubt they'd be trying to hurt him."

"The only thing I know for certain is my boyfriend is locked away and I'm not helping" Buffy said.

"Maybe Tori has a point" Willow said. "Riley is kind of their top gun guy it doesn't make sense that they'd hurt him."

"But the Initiative has a whole branch of brain-washy, behavior modification guys." Buffy said.

"So?"

"Buffy's right" I said. "What happen' ll when they start not liking Riley's behavior?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------