Enemies

Buffy and Faith had went patrolling last night. I refused to be anywhere near Faith not after what she did. So I either patrolled with Buffy only or I went alone. 

We were sitting in the library, Buffy, Xander and Willow sat at the table, I sat on Oz's lap leaned back into him while Wesley stood beside it and Giles was standing by the door to his office.

"And you say this demon wanted cash?" Wesley asked. "That's very unusual."

"Demons after money" Giles said. "Whatever happened to the still beating heart of a virgin? No one has any standards anymore."

"Well, he said the books were worth the price." Buffy told us.

"What's this Ascension mean?" I asked.

Wesley looked at Giles.

"I'm not sure" Giles said.

"No, not really a common term in demonology." Wesley added.

"Ooh ooh! The Marenschadt Text." Willow said. "I think in the section on genocide, they mention Ascension"

"Well, we have a winner." Oz told them.

"And, more importantly." Xander said. "two losers."

"Where did you find that volume?" Giles asked Willow.

"In the top of your book cabinet." Willow told him. "with the stuff you try to keep hidden."

Giles disappeared into his office.

"Hidden?" Xander muttered. "Are there any engravings I should know about? Uh, frolicking nymphs of some kind?"

"No. Just magic secrets Giles doesn't think I'm ready for." Willow told us.

"Ah, yes, yes, here we are." Giles said returning with the book. "There's a reference here to the journal of Desmond Kane, pastor of a town called Sharpsville. May 26, 1723. Tomorrow is the Ascension. God help us all, It was the last anyone heard."

"Of Kane?" Wesley asked.

"Of Sharpville." Giles said. "The town more or less disappeared."

"So Ascension possibly not a love-in." I said. 

"I think you should meet with this demon girls." Giles told us gesturing to Buffy and I.

"Yeah?" Buffy asked. "Anybody got five thousand dollars?"

They all looked at me, I stared back before realizing why they were looking at me.

"That's like half of a vault you know how many centuries it takes to rebuild that much money?" I told them sighing. "Sorry."

They sighed feeling discouraged, just then Cordelia entered, approaching Wesley.

 "I have something important to ask you."

"Important?" Xander said. " Let's start calculating those odds, people."

 " What are you doing Friday night?" Cordelia asked, ignoring Xander and looked at Wesley.

"Uh, I, uh, as always my sacred duty as a Watcher prevents me from, ah... Why?" Wesley answered.

"I have a paper to write for English and you're English so I thought..." Cordelia said trailing off. 

Xander and I gave her a look. 

"What? Is it so wrong to be getting an insider's perspective?" She asked us and then looked at Wesley. "I study best in a good restaurant, around eightish? Think it over?"